SI Players Poll in the new issue

BBM

Sports Illustrated polled 357 NHL players on their thoughts about best and worst dressed NHL teams. Results:

BEST:

1. Blackhawks - 28%

2. Canadiens - 16%

3. Red Wings - 14%

4. Maple Leafs - 11%

5. Rangers - 7.4%

WORST:

1. Predators - 28%

2. Sabres - 24%

3. Thrashers - 8%

4. Ducks - 7%

5. Islanders - 5.7%

Random notes... The sixth Original Six team (the Bruins) was ranked 10th on the best dressed, and 8th on the worst dressed... Obviously it has no bearing on performance, since the five worst are all in playoff positions, and only the Red Wings are in the playoffs on the best dressed.

I know we have these topics all the time, but I figured it's a neat perspective, coming from players.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised to see the Isles in the bottom 5. They have one of my favorite sets in the league. I would've thrown Philly at that spot probably.

The Isles need to go back to royal blue and ditch the triple layer lettering. If you are going to go with the championship era look, go with it and don't butcher it up.

This poll is beautiful, it says pretty much everything I think about hockey uniforms (with the exception of Atlanta and the Isles). I know the Thrashers' home jersey is widely hated, but it's still my second favorite sweater in the league. The Isles' unis have grown on me a lot, and I think they've done a real solid job of updating their classic look.

I think the moral of the story is: LESS IS MORE.

Thank Maurice Richard himself, that the "super chicken" Thrasher jersey got some ink, about how ugly it is.

My only surprise here is the Islanders in the "most hated" category.

"Less is more", I agree 100% with that comment. Also note that the team that "stuck" with their look the longest, make it higher on the list. If the Sabres had left well enough alone, I wager they don't make the 'hate' list.

As it stands now though, that Buffalo Banana thing just has to go...

The (not really but we pretend that they are the) "Original Six" are all well dressed, but crap like this frustrates me.

The Leafs are close but they have so many little things that make thier uniforms...well, simply not top 5 material.

And the Red Wings MIGHT be top 5 material. They don't have ugly burn your eyes out uniforms, but their red uniforms are so bland.

And call me out as a homer if you want, but in this case I don't think that's it at all, but how do the Blues NOT crack the top 5 in this list?

Simple, if they existed for more than 40 years they'd be on there.

I love tradition too, but too many people just wet themselves over tradition. (Though, the 'Hawks and Canadiens are definitely top 5 material.)

I accaully really like the Wild's set. I think it is very hockey like and the logo is simply a masterpiece. To be able to get the sencery in there along with the bear head is a work of art. And for all that to be in the state of hockey...to me is brilliant. That would probably be the only newer style set I would include though. Maybe with the exception of dallas...I like how the star is incorperated into the side of the jersey.

Cat Eyes - Josh B)

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

The (not really but we pretend that they are the) "Original Six" are all well dressed, but crap like this frustrates me.

The Leafs are close but they have so many little things that make thier uniforms...well, simply not top 5 material.

And the Red Wings MIGHT be top 5 material. They don't have ugly burn your eyes out uniforms, but their red uniforms are so bland.

And call me out as a homer if you want, but in this case I don't think that's it at all, but how do the Blues NOT crack the top 5 in this list?

I love tradition too, but too many people just wet themselves over tradition. (Though, the 'Hawks and Canadiens are definitely top 5 material.)

That's your opinion, the players don't agree with you... which is the whole purpose of this poll. The players don't think the Blues uniform is top 5.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" • News • Facebook • X/Twitter • Instagram

Because while the Blues feature a great logo, they tinkered with swooshes, combining burgundy with blue, diagonal stripes and all kinds of other awful aberrations. I think the players were just afraid of what the Blues might try next.

What about Nucks 3rd

Let's face it, when people think Canucks jersey, they still shriek in horror and remember this:

ind05neely02.jpg

Give us another decade to purge this from our memory, and we'll embrace the real color scheme and nifty logo of that franchise.

For what it's worth, the ugliest jersey I can ever remember is this:

kings.jpg

What does it say about the wisdom of a league, when they dress the greatest player in their sports history in that atrocity?

That's your opinion, the players don't agree with you... which is the whole purpose of this poll. The players don't think the Blues uniform is top 5.

Well thanks, Chris... :P

Of course, this is just the players opinions.

But it doesn't matter who's opinions it is, I disagree.

And if I can't decide whether I agree or disagree with a poll of people because that poll of people isn't me, then what's the point of seeing the poll?

The players are the worst when it comes to being blinded by tradition.

Because while the Blues feature a great logo, they tinkered with swooshes, combining burgundy with blue, diagonal stripes and all kinds of other awful aberrations. I think the players were just afraid of what the Blues might try next.

Um. Swooshes?

The Blues have had one bleh set in their history. And that really doesn't matter anyways as this is about current uniform sets.

Sports Illustrated polled 357 NHL players on their thoughts about best and worst dressed NHL teams. Results:

BEST:

1. Blackhawks - 28%

WORST:

1. Predators - 28%

Agree 100% on the Hawks. Surprised to see the Preds so overly hated. Thought for sure the Sabres would be #1.

Archived