Design Sites

SDX

Just wondering which other designs forums visits. At the moment i only use this one and computer arts but would like to visit a wider variety, can anyone recommend any.

logo.png

• 3 weeks later...

dont go to forums telling you "how to design", they tend to be :censored:.

if you want to learn pro software then by all means do the tutorials but if anybody tels you

"how to create such and such an effect" tell them to blow themselves.

you have eyes and with techical knowhow you will know how to "creat there :censored:ty effect"

on this forum i recently saw a tutorial for "how to make a logo look painted on the wall"

there are a million ways to do this, most of them better than the one they gave.

if you learn the tech, you will know all of this.

look at what designers are doing, not at how hacks are doing their best to poorly immitate them.

dont want to end on a negative note so please have a look at two of the great american motion design companies.

MK12

Psyop

these are great companies doing great design (okay im a motion designer so they are my field but neverthelss..) check it out. its awesome.

/fd

dont go to forums telling you "how to design", they tend to be :censored:.

if you want to learn pro software then by all means do the tutorials but if anybody tels you

"how to create such and such an effect" tell them to blow themselves.

you have eyes and with techical knowhow you will know how to "creat there :censored:ty effect"

on this forum i recently saw a tutorial for "how to make a logo look painted on the wall"

there are a million ways to do this, most of them better than the one they gave.

if you learn the tech, you will know all of this.

look at what designers are doing, not at how hacks are doing their best to poorly immitate them.

dont want to end on a negative note so please have a look at two of the great american motion design companies.

MK12

Psyop

these are great companies doing great design (okay im a motion designer so they are my field but neverthelss..) check it out. its awesome.

/fd

Some great stuff on those websites, how did you get into that field and what study did you do? Were any of those your work?

logo.png

sorry that was a bit of a p*ssed rant. i was a bit shocked when i read that vitriolic tirade!

i am a strong believer in ideas and not creating "effects" and "styles" from tutorials.

i understand that by doing them you learn about the software etc but you have to take them

with a pinch of salt and realise that is usually one way of doing something and often not the best.

anyway its been said.

i studied graphic design at college (our ages 16-18) then did a foundation course for a year in art and design (you often have to do that before uni in the uk) then did a 3 year ba in nottingham england in graphic design. did the first year and didnt really find that i was that interested in print design, did a bit of illustration and web but neither really tickled my fancy. then stumbled across after effects and motion graphics and never really looked back. now i work for a company called mainframe in london. we make commercials, music videos, title sequences and promos for people like mtv, vh1, bbc, channel 4, nickleodeon, disney and others.

here are mine and works reels:

Fraser Davidson Showreel

Mainframe Showreel

Archived