Philadelphia Freedom - Fantasy Hockey Concept

drevel

Hello, I was admiring the ALT. MLB concepts that ltravisjr has designed & asked him if he could possibly alt. his Phillies concept to make a logo for a Philly team. The Philadelphia Freedom. I threw something together to get some feedback on the overall look of the concept. I think that his logo is really cool & I wanted to make a Winnipeg Jets colors & stuff. C+C welcomed - I will be updating it based on the comments thanks.

I was thinking about maybe adding stars, but I don?t want it to look too much like the Caps. I will also update the template with the Letters & Numbers & Logos.

Thanks.

msg-117953309481.jpg

Wow, something looks familiar here, lol. Seriously, I won't comment on my own contribution here, but I like the simple old school look to the uniform. Very sharp and I can imagine it on the ice. I just hope the logo does it justice.

LT

Well, the logo looks better then the one I came up with for my fantasy Aussie rules football team with the same name. Though I don't like it saying "Philly". However, Philadelphia is a little much to put on there.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Though I don't like it saying "Philly".

I can't agree with that statement more.

To call the city "Philly" in speech is bad enough (like calling San Francisco "Frisco"... try it some time on a local, see how they take it), but to see it written on an official team wordmark or logo would be ten times worse. Given how small it is relative to the rest of the crest, just take it off if spelling out "PHILADELPHIA" would be too long. "PHILLY", "PHILA" and any other nickname/abbreviation look horribly bad.

As for the rest of the design:

CREST - As was said when LT designed the Phils' alt logo, the spire of Independence Hall by itself isn't as readily identifiable as one might think. This is coming from a lifelong native of greater Philadelphia. The silhouette of the entire building, or the addition of the clock tower beneath the spire, would make it much easier to identify. But this could be any building if you only see the spire. Truthfully, while Independence Hall is known internationally, the most famous spire in the city is William Penn standing atop City Hall, which wouldn't work on this concept.

COLORS: Very nice. Welcome back, royal blue! I'd choose copper (Liberty Bell, US Mint) over silver, which gets lost a little against the white.

STRIPES: No complaints here. That would work, and I would buy that sweater in a second.

BREEZERS/HELMET/GLOVES/SOCKS: No gripes here, either.

All in all, a very nice concept. A couple of things I would change, but overall you have a winner.

EDIT: Just because people say something, doesn't make it right, Eddie.

And it certainly doesn't make it a good idea to put city nicknames on a team's official identity package (and I realize this is a fantasy concept, but I am assuming the premise is to make the team's insignias as close to professional-style as possible).

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Im from Philly and I say it.

You're in the minority.

IMO, it is acceptable only when referring to geographic regions in the city (South Philly, North Philly, West Philly, etc.) I still try to be as specific as possible (Overbrook, Queens Village, Kensington, Manayunk (had to get the cheap plug in there.))

Would you call your country a (unt?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Though I don't like it saying "Philly".

I can't agree with that statement more.

To call the city "Philly" in speech is bad enough (like calling San Francisco "Frisco"... try it some time on a local, see how they take it), but to see it written on an official team wordmark or logo would be ten times worse. Given how small it is relative to the rest of the crest, just take it off if spelling out "PHILADELPHIA" would be too long. "PHILLY", "PHILA" and any other nickname/abbreviation look horribly bad.

As for the rest of the design:

CREST - As was said when LT designed the Phils' alt logo, the spire of Independence Hall by itself isn't as readily identifiable as one might think. This is coming from a lifelong native of greater Philadelphia. The silhouette of the entire building, or the addition of the clock tower beneath the spire, would make it much easier to identify. But this could be any building if you only see the spire. Truthfully, while Independence Hall is known internationally, the most famous spire in the city is William Penn standing atop City Hall, which wouldn't work on this concept.

COLORS: Very nice. Welcome back, royal blue! I'd choose copper (Liberty Bell, US Mint) over silver, which gets lost a little against the white.

STRIPES: No complaints here. That would work, and I would buy that sweater in a second.

BREEZERS/HELMET/GLOVES/SOCKS: No gripes here, either.

All in all, a very nice concept. A couple of things I would change, but overall you have a winner.

EDIT: Just because people say something, doesn't make it right, Eddie.

And it certainly doesn't make it a good idea to put city nicknames on a team's official identity package (and I realize this is a fantasy concept, but I am assuming the premise is to make the team's insignias as close to professional-style as possible).

To be honest, the "Philly" was the last thing I put in the logo and I will admit it looks alright without it too, but I think drevel wanted to suggest the city, especially since the spire is rather generic as you recognized. Perhaps "Philadelphia" might be a better solution, but that is drevel's call as its his team. I am intrigued by your comments that there needs to be more shown of the building to make it look recognizeable. I didn't think I could incorporate all that without throwing off the balance of the logo (this and the Phillies). I can experiment, though...

LT

Im from Philly and I say it.

And I notice that your baseball team is kinda called the PHILLIES soo is that the minority too?

As for the concept...AMAZING LOGO but I dont think the people of winnipeg would like having their jersey stolen although it does work with the logo.

"Cat Eyes" Josh

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

And I notice that your baseball team is kinda called the PHILLIES soo is that the minority too?

Umm... are you serious with this? Really serious? Or are you trying to be funny?

Nice try, guy. Keep at it... <_<

Except that one is a nickname for a professional team, in use since 1883. The other is an abbreviation for an entire city that most residents of said city abhor, except, as BBTV pointed out, you are referring to one of the neighborhoods named for its geographical location within the city limits. Despite the fact that some of the local yokels use it, outsiders seem to cling to the mistaken belief that we all refer to the city that way. We just don't, any more than San Franciscans call their hometown "Frisco". And this goes double - no, triple - for any moron referring to our home state as "JOYZEE". The first New Jerseyan I meet who says it this way (and I haven't met one in 32 years) is getting punched in the face and driven to the state line immediately, no questions asked. From Cape May to High Point, there isn't a single one of us who actually calls it "Joyzee".

But here's the key point, and why the natives' hackles are raised. Even if it were a nickname that everybody used without sounding like an @$$, it still has no place on the identity marks of a professional franchise. Bottom line, end of discussion, thanks and good night.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

Archived