Sabres vintage sweaters

VitaminD

The Sabres have finally seen the light. After being subjected to the putrid gear of the Goat Head Era, the team brought back the blue/gold color scheme that made their old look so great. And while they muddled things up with the BuffaSlug, they also had the wisdom to bring back the original "vintage" sweaters, with the original crest, the kicka$$ stripes, and the lighter royal blue. Even in defeat today, the Sabres looked like the best-dressed team in the league.

That said, the vintage sweaters that the Sabres are wearing have a white outline on the player numbers. I don't remember this being the case when the Sabres wore these the first time. I know from pictures that during the French Connection years (just a little before the time I really got into hockey), there was a substantial white outline to the numbers. But I can't remember if there was even a thin outline of white around the gold numbers on the blue sweaters. I didn't think there was, but I may be wrong.

Research has proved inconclusive thus far. On nhluniforms.com, the graphic is too small to say if there's a white outline or not. And I haven't found a good picture of LaFontaine, Mogilny or Hawerchuk wearing the blue to see if there's an outline.

I'd like to get the sweater customized, but I want to make sure I get it right. Anyone who knows, please pass on what you know. Thanks in advance, and if you feel like suggesting a player, I'm amenable to suggestions although I have some guys in mind. (Yuri Khymlev is a frontrunner, and I may get it done in Cyrillic. Or maybe not.)

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

One thing I should mention - most of these "Vintage" products are using incorrect colors...I think what is happening is that the uniform manufacturers are bringing back these older logos and uniforms but matching them to current fabric colors. The Sabres in particular are using a different shade of Gold than was used previously.

If memory serves me correctly, they always had a gold outline on the blue numbers of the white jerseys and a white outline on the gold numbers of the blues. The numbers were definitely thicker in the '70's than in the '80's and I think the blue was a tad lighter still in the early years. No question the gold also changed.

Here's an early Gilbert Perrault pic:

gilbert1.jpg

And a close look at this more recent albeit not-great-quality shot of Clint Malarchuk, does show a white outline...

malarchuk.jpg

"Old folks"

scorepics-ca.jpg

Thanks to you both for the help.

'TONE - I had thought something was amiss with both colors, actually. I remember the royal being a little more intense, and the gold as well. Funny thing - I happened to be wearing an old Sabres ringer T I picked up at a bargain bin some years back. And it has the original logo and colors, and when held up against the sweater I bought this year, the discrepancy between the colors is striking to the naked eye. Your solid research trumps my naked eye, of course - but it's nice to know that I was on the right track.

speedo - the Malarchuk pic was better than anything else I could find. It looks like the Sabres not only changed number fonts, but thinned out the outline during the '80s. But it's definitely there, so when I talk to the EPS people, I'll make sure my order is appropriately detailed - not that I need to worry, they've done customizing on a large part of my collection, and they're 100% on the money every time.

"Start spreading the news... They're leavin' today... Won't get to be a part of it... In old New York..."

2007nleastchamps.png

In order for the Mets' run of 12 losses in 17 games to mean something, the Phillies still had to win 13 of 17.

I'm putting a comparison together, but noticed an issue with my database - what seasons did the Sabres use Red in the "eye" of the old primary logo?

I don't remember who said it, but in that "Sabres new logo leaked" thread started around a year ago, someone said that the eye has always been red.

If anyone knows the significance of the red eye, I'd be glad to hear it.....

I still don't understand the love over these jerseys. They're not bad, but I'll take the black and red ones any day of the week. I don't like the same logo being on the jersey 3 times, I'd rather see no shoulder patch then a repetition of the crest.

I still don't understand the love over these jerseys. They're not bad, but I'll take the black and red ones any day of the week. I don't like the same logo being on the jersey 3 times, I'd rather see no shoulder patch then a repetition of the crest.

The black and red symbolized everything that is wrong in Buffalo. Adelphia hell, as I call it, was a time that people will never enjoy remembering. That goddamn owner decides to chuck tradition out the window, and give us a peice of :censored: for a hockey team.

As for the shoulder patch, it doesn't bother me that its just the regular crest, however, in the early years, when Timmy Horton played and such, there wasn't a patch and we had a lace up collar.

The black and red symbolized everything that is wrong in Buffalo. Adelphia hell, as I call it, was a time that people will never enjoy remembering. That goddamn owner decides to chuck tradition out the window, and give us a peice of :censored: for a hockey team.

As for the shoulder patch, it doesn't bother me that its just the regular crest, however, in the early years, when Timmy Horton played and such, there wasn't a patch and we had a lace up collar.

The "goddamn owner" in the summer of 1996, when the team changed uniforms, were the Knox brothers. In fact, Seymour's last order of business before he passed was changing the uniforms. The ill-conceived return to blue and yellow is like a big "f-you" to him, the man responsible for the NHL in Buffalo. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

Archived