Pittsburgh Pirates rebrand

Turkleton

My 3rd attempt at a rebrand....Those of you who have seen my Cards and Athletics rebrands may be taking a deep breath and wondering what this will be like. Ive tried this time to incorporate the teams history. The blue im using, and the lone 'P' as a secondary logo, are both a nod to the teams 1st 1900 - 1906 logo.

The large 'P' on the road uniform is because, I beleive, they used that on uniforms in the early 1900's.

The primary logo is meant to be simple, the lack of pirate head due to the team not always using an actual pirate head as a logo. I suspect there is still something minor league about the actual jerseys, mainly because I cant seem to work out how to make it major league. However, Im going to actually rebrand some minor league teams soon.

C&C always appreciated

piratesor3.png

pirates2cj9.png

sigen.jpg

Each new concept is getting closer to your grail of a "major league" concept. This is the closest so far. First shrink the P on the cap. It's way to big. Why do you have piping around the collar but not the button-part of the jersey? It doesn't look that great to me. I'd also strike the number above the word mark. If it's just the word mark, that will give a more old-timey feel (which I assume is what you're going for). If you want a number aside from the back, put it on the sleeve a la Phillies. The numbers should also be blue. Although you have a blue outline, they would be very difficult to read from a distance. Never have number/lettering the same color as the jersey. I'm not a fan of blue for the Pirates. Blue is a common color and it's not a pirate-y color. Yes, it's a nod to the past, but is it simply a nod for the sake of a nod?

I think you are improving with each concept. Keep at it.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

I'm going to agree with the above poster, you're getting better with each concept, but this isn't quite "major league" yet, but I definitely see a minor league team sporting these.

Keep at it!

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I can't help but think "Seton Hall" when I see this set.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I can't help but think "Seton Hall" when I see this set.

I knew this looked oddly familiar. For the very same reason, I would suggest changing the colors to black and gold.

Yeah, black and gold have become synonymous with Pittsburgh (Steelers, Pirates, and Penguins) just like pretty much every team in Ottawa uses black, white, and red. The black and gold is a sort of city identity that I think many people would revolt against if it was removed.

Other than that and the other comments posted...

OK!! The return to the blue wasnt a nod for the sake of it, I took a while to decide on that one. All the comments have been taken into account and ive made a few changes. As well as minor league teams im going to do some fantasy teams as well, then I can really go nuts and create something that matches my style a bit more

Here ya go, back to the black and gold.... :)

piratescz1.png

pirates2af0.png

sigen.jpg

A definite improvement. The colors are more fitting to the Pirates and as Webhamster illustrated, Pittsburgh. A black outline for the home jersey would make the wordmark more readable. Again, I'm going to suggest to shrink down the P on the cap. I think it's too big.

This isn't something that I'm going to say the Pirates need to wear this set, but if they did switch to this I wouldn't be distraught about it. Once again, an improvement.

On a side note, I look forward to your made-up teams. I think your concepts will be much better when you create a new identity rather than modify an old one.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

It reminds me of my brother's college team, MCC (a juco college). Those unis look very similar to them.

On a sidenote, Patsox, what is R.O.C.? Does it stand for Rochester, NY (where I live). "The ROC" is one of the nicknames for Rochester.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Archived