Could Gary Bettman lose job over Preds sale fiasco?

Viper

He failed to work a deal with ESPN and signed a deal with Versus, a channel many don't get,

*sigh*

The NHL went with Versus because Ed Snider owns Comcast as well as the Flyers.

How many NHL teams does ESPN own?

Thank you.

I wonder how many people under, say, 25, don't know what your avatar is..

nav-logo.png

He failed to work a deal with ESPN and signed a deal with Versus, a channel many don't get,

*sigh*

Thank you.

Remind me to never go into business with you or Bettman. Hey, maybe when it's the NBA's time to reup on a TV contract they can work out an exclusive deal with HDNet because Cuban is the Owner (actually, that would be better than Versus). "My friend has a TV company, let's sign with him" is no way to do business.

I certainly understand that corporate considerations take a seat at the head of the table and the fans don't even get to stand in the room. What is not being considered is if a fan gets less and less opportunity to watch the sport, the viewership numbers go down; the viewship numbers go down, the corporate sponsorship and money start to dry up.

I contend the NFL and the NBA are most popular (and work out lucrative corporate deals) because they keep their sport in front of a wide ranging audience. Better visibility can only help a business, especially sports. So let the NHL keep Bettman, and we'll see how niche' a niche' sport can get.

*sigh*

Thank you.

Remind me to never go into business with you or Bettman. Hey, maybe when it's the NBA's time to reup on a TV contract they can work out an exclusive deal with HDNet because Cuban is the Owner (actually, that would be better than Versus). "My friend has a TV company, let's sign with him" is no way to do business.

I certainly understand that corporate considerations take a seat at the head of the table and the fans don't even get to stand in the room. What is not being considered is if a fan gets less and less opportunity to watch the sport, the viewership numbers go down; the viewship numbers go down, the corporate sponsorship and money start to dry up.

I contend the NFL and the NBA are most popular (and work out lucrative corporate deals) because they keep their sport in front of a wide ranging audience. Better visibility can only help a business, especially sports. So let the NHL keep Bettman, and we'll see how niche' a niche' sport can get.

Well it's not just that Comcast also owns the Flyers it is that Comcast (maybe in part because the own the Flyers) offered 70+ million dollars more than ESPN. Which at the time was the highest tv contract the league had (just above Hockey Night in Canada which has now surprassed it). Now given the choice between ESPn which has treated the league like crap and essentially told it's viewers not to watch even when they had the contract or Versus which prioritizes the league and is offering 70 million more it's a no brainier decision you go with Versus. The added visibility that ESPN gives does nothing when whenever the league is mentioned on it's talking head show they hold newspapers up.

BTW the NFL and the NBA aren't the most popular. The NFL and MLB are. Even going by TV ratings, which are flawed and skewed, the NBA is probably closer to the NHL than it is MLB.

*sigh*

Thank you.

Remind me to never go into business with you or Bettman.

Don't shoot the messenger, sport. I'm just sitting here trying to inform the boards of the (flawed) logic that goes into the NHL way of thinking under Bettman?s control.

The NHL got pissy because ESPN wouldn?t commit to putting the league on the main channel, but onto ESPN2. Snider, one of Bettman?s back-pocket owners, offered a sweet deal with VS, which doesn?t hit the homes of any US market not served by Comcast.

The NHL took the money, much like the US government takes a Haliburton contract, and spun us a tale of how VS would make the NHL its #1 priority, something that ESPN wouldn?t do. Never mind having highlights seen coast-to-coast, or having some type of exposure beyod local highlights (which are no longer a given in today?s marketplace).

Now, have team revenues increased? Yes, but more than likely, they have done so on the backs of the Canadian teams; we will never know for sure, because the NHL is in no hurry to show the public real, properly-audited reports on team finances. All we are told is, ?revenues are up higher than we thought they would be, so the cap is going to $53M.?

Now, the question that comes up is, is this a real, workable cap? Or is this a cap determined to keep the NHL away from smaller, hockey-mad centres (Hartford, Winnipeg, QC) and in the US, where cities like KC and Houston are (allegedly) ready for teams? The ownership wanted cost-certainty; I'm sorry, but with a salary cap like this, cost-certainty is nowhere in sight.

And finally, a word to the wise. Make no mistake; Bettman is a commissioner for the owners. He does NOT care about the fans, or what is best for the game. Most of the owners made money last year; those that didn?t, can use a tax write-off since the team is part of other holdings these people own. As long as the owners continue to make a profit, no matter how small, they will continue to keep him around. Period. The fans do not enter into the business equation of today?s NHL, period

Welcome to DrunjFlix

If they didn't can him for destroying the league, they won't can him for this. Which is a shame, but hardly surprising.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

*sigh*

Thank you.

I wonder how many people under, say, 25, don't know what your avatar is..

I'll be number 1!

You know, I rarely visit ccslsc anymore. I really should fix that.

Archived