Indy '08 - No Go for F1 but Yes to Moto GP

Sir Donald

Indianapolis loses its F1 date

The future of the United States Grand Prix is in doubt after the Indianapolis circuit confirmed that it would not host next year's race.

Indy boss Tony George and Bernie Ecclestone had been attempting to negotiate a new deal after the current contract expired following the 2007 GP, but could not come to an agreement.

?After several discussions, Bernie Ecclestone and I were unable to agree how to keep Formula One in Indianapolis for the near term,? said George.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40034

Indy confirms MotoGP debut in 2008

The 2008 Red Bull Indianapolis GP official logoThe Indianapolis Motor Speedway has officially confirmed that its first MotoGP race will take place on a revised road course circuit on September 14, 2008.

After months of speculation about the event, IMS president Joie Chitwood said he was overjoyed that MotoGP was stepping in to replace Formula One, which will be absent from the track next season.

The MotoGP event will be the first motorcycle race at the venue since August 14, 1909.

"We welcome the excitement and passion of MotoGP racing and its fans to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the inaugural Red Bull Indianapolis GP," said Chitwood.

"The very first motorised race at IMS was on two wheels, so it's only fitting that motorcycles are returning as we approach the 100th anniversary of the track.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60867

New layout here:

http://www.brickyard.com/news/story.php?story_id=9470

I will bring this back from a near grave since I am going to Laguna on Friday. This is pretty big news for MotoGP. Guys, if you have Speed, try to look at this. The F1 of motorcycles is da#n popular, plus the World Champion is an American. Nicky Hayden from Kentucky. (Honestly, he should have been in the "Who's Now" bracket over Danica Patrick since he wins). Add to that, Americans have consistently won championships since the 1970's ("King " Kenny Roberts, "Fast" Freddie Spencer, "Steady" Eddie Lawson, and KR, JR (Kenny Roberts, Jr.), CBS's recent coverage, with their announcers there unlike many F1 races, is an attempt to share it with American audiences.

MotoGP is freaking awesome. I think it'll catch on in the US soon, between two races hosted in the country after next year *and* action that merges ridiculous passing with road courses...

I've been a fan for a while (I remember watching races in...1999? wow) and I'm very glad I've got Speed back now at college so I can keep watching. Vale is god, and the Hondas suck this year.

Oh, and Bernie is a sawed-off little troll for basically holding up Tony George over F1 at IMS. As much as I hate George for causing the split in US open wheel racing, I approve of him completely for not kissing the ring, even if it does cost us a US GP, especially for the year I might've been able to go...I guess this means I'll try to talk my dad into going to Montreal instead, eh?

harperdc.gif

(Honestly, he should have been in the "Who's Now" bracket over Danica Patrick since he wins).

The "Who's Now" thing is about how popular or marketable people are, not who wins or is the best. And honestly, I've never even heard of Nicky Hayden until now and I'm sure not many others have either so that's probably why he's not in there.

As for the topic at hand, all I can do is laugh at Tony George for wasting all that money on building the F1 course and paying for the rights to hold the race for a few years of crappy racing.

Kind of like something else he has wasted a ton of money on that he never should have bothered with in the first place... (*cough*IRL*cough)

As for MotoGP, I'm not a big motorcycle racing fan. But if they brought back boardtrack racing, hell yeah!

-Helix-, trust me, if you even like motor racing in the slightest then watch a round or two of MotoGP. Speed channel carries it in the US, or Youtube it if you have to. It's pretty amazing regardless of whether you like bikes or not.

harperdc.gif

I know very little about MotoGP in terms of racers, but it is very popular around the world. It really is exciting to watch and boy, those crashes are quite something. I just hope none of them crash into the wall :blink:

I saw, I came, I left.

one of the reasons I really love MotoGP is not only is it close, but they've been able to keep a good selection of manufacturers involved. Unlike NASCAR, which downplays manufacturer differences to the point of headlight stickers and engine blocks, MotoGP has different, unique prototype bikes with factory backing from Honda, Yamaha, Ducati, Suzuki, and Kawasaki. in other forms of motorsports (touring cars, sports cars, etc.) such manufacturer involvement has led to series' downfalls, but Dorna and the FIM seems like they've got the balance just right. Pretty brilliant stuff.

harperdc.gif

Archived