John madden

specialk

Madden's a very smart commentator. As an ex-coach, he does know what he's talking about. He does tend to ramble about inane little things at times, but who doesn't? It's funny when he gets all exciting about something insignificant, like a player whose shirt is ripped, or a guy with grass stuck in his helmet. The only time I remember him being really off is when he said the Pats should play conservative at the end of SB 36 and play for OT instead of marching down the field for the game-winning FG.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

When it was him and Summerall, it was dreadful to watch a game. Pat would screw up all the time and John would be too busy circling the ass sweat on the linemen.

I think Pat was drunk most of the time, or he had suffered a stroke or something like that.

No way! Some of you guys must be joking, i've heard some of the dumbest things come out of maddens mouth that i have ever heard. Such as, if he would've made that catch, the would've scored that touchdown. If he didn't miss that tackle, he would've stopped him there. If he didn't make that move, that player would've tackled him. All he does is just point out the obvious.

3JymF.png

As a brit I would say that John Madden is in the top 4 or 5 sports broadcasters in the world. he has a great skill ion being able to share both his knowledge of and enthusiasm for his sport, without being patronising or above the heads of viewers, which is pretty rare thing. He and Al Michaels must be about the best commentator analyst pairing in sports IMO.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I just want to say "DUH!" after everything Madden says.  Some quotes from this year:

"Seau is great in pass protection and in rushing the QB.  That makes him a good linebacker"

"Tomlinson is a great runner and has good moves.  If you have that, you can be a good runner in this league"

Buck, Aikman, and Collinsworth I find are the best.

I just want to say "DUH!" after everything Madden says. Some quotes from this year:

"Seau is great in pass protection and in rushing the QB. That makes him a good linebacker"

"Tomlinson is a great runner and has good moves. If you have that, you can be a good runner in this league"

Buck, Aikman, and Collinsworth I find are the best.

EWWW, not Joe Buck. He called Keanu Reeves one of the great actors last weekend. If he thinks that, then he needs his head checked. Collinsworth is F-ing annyoing, and personally I like Aikman.

as with all announcers, less is more.

if they tell me some odd factoid or neat story or general un-noticed move --fine, but keep it simple and pipe it down when the game is in play. i need play by play on the radio, but if i'm kickin' it on the couch watching the game, i can see the action all by myself.

which also brings up why in the world do we have all these camera angles and wire-cams, yet the producers can always find a way to miss the action very often in the big games, urrrgh!

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

CBS has admitted they are in the "experiental" phase of the hover-cam they have been using. They also have been getting complaints about it. Aside from getting cool visuals of the holes the running back sees or the pass rushers from the QB's view, it doesn't add to the viewing experience.

During the Pats game, that camera angle made us miss 2 field goals which were never replayed. You can't tell how long the punts are (although with Ken walter punting, you know it's only 20 yards or so).

While this camera angle is great for replays, it feels too much like a video game. Use it for replays only, not live video feeds.

I've been saying it for years, and I will argue this until his final days on this earth, JOHN MADDEN SUCKS!

you guys have nailed it on the head, he points out the obvious

then repeats it three different ways that's his schtick.

A typical Madden comment goes like this:

"Faulk hit the hole created by the linemen, see...the linemen pulled and 'boom' created the hole, the hole is where Faulk went when the lineman pulled and blocked."

He does this all game long, how come no one at the networks pulls the plug.

I personally think the ESPN Sunday night crew is the best.

I think it's comical when Thiesman and Maguire start

busting each others chops, they seem to be genuinely having fun, It's more like watching a game with buddies at a bar.

John Madden is a football god. He explains the game for the new fan, while not sounding preachy to the seasoned fan. He is the best commentator in sports today.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

ESPN guys are the best announcing crew in football. Simms is one of the better color guys out there today. Gumble plays it straight to the vest. He's not good or bad. He just is.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I didn't mind Dennis Miller on MNF. You get used to him. If you are or have been a fan of him, he's fun to listen to. And if you could never figure out any of his obscure references (really, who could?), there was a website devoted to explain what the hell he said, and how it was relevant at the time. Very funny stuff. Yeah, he was a little too intellectual for Joe Football who wanted to just see a good game. But I give Miller credit for taking on a job most people were going to hate him for doing. He's a football fan, he enjoyed himself.

I think Jerry Glanville is funny. I think he's also very "out there". But it's fun to have someone a few cards short of a hand in there trying to explain the game. He does have a football background (though not a very successful one), he does know most of what he's talking about. I like hearing him work Patriots pre-season games with Don Criqui. Actually, I'd rather listen to Glanville than Criqui. Glanville sounds like he's gaving a good old time up in the booth. If the announcer's having fun up there, it makes the game  more fun to listen to and watch.

I find it hillarious with Michaels and the spread:

"Wow, Mare missed that field goal, and I can see a few people who would feel bad about that...."

You have to admit, it's what a lot of people watch the NFL for...

The ESPN crew is also pretty good, they do act like bar buddies.

My experience of Dennis Miller's football commentaries was that he tried his best in a bad situation, but he was too much of a gimmick. You can't really have a color guy who hasn't been closely involved in football because the players and coaches just say 'who the hell does he think he is' if he criticizes them so invariably they just get stuck making positive comments or irrelevant remarks.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I think John Madden is interesting to listen to. If the game's exciting, he talks about the game and gives his interesting little insights, but even if the game's boring, he'll go off on a tangent and it's still entertaining. Plus he's got his name on perhaps the best video game series of all-time (well, at least behind the classics like Mario, Zelda, and Sonic).

Pat Summerall was great... he had a great voice... but I agree that Al Michaels is better.

The ESPN crew is good too, nothing to complain about, they're joking around, and their reaction after the Namath-Kolber incident was hilarious.

Ian Eagles (or whatever his name is) might just be the worst commentator. I just can't stand that guy.

WINnipegSigBanner.gif

Archived