Detroit MLS Logo

Rampart

In World War II, Detroit and the auto industry was known as the ARSENAL of Democracy because the auto plants switched over to making bomber planes. Most notably, the B24 Liberators at the Willow Run plant in Ypsilanti. If one is going to be European about it, the Detroit soccer team should be called the Arsenal.

Everyone loves a roundel.

I think Ford would be p***ed off if they used a crest that looks similar to the old Cadillac crest.

Why Ford? General Motors has had rights to Cadillac since 1909. :]]

Cadillac departed from ford in 1902.

Exactly. I think Ford would be upset at a Detroit team showing preference to GM... intentional or not.

Why would anyone care what Ford thinks unless there's some overwhelming evidence to suggest that they're about to pour tens of millions of dollars into the MLS. When companies have the finances to control a team, they can make the logo whatever they want. (see: Red Bull New York) Besides, I think the logo is generic enough not to stir up any problems (plus the fact that this is a piece of amateur "concept" art on a sports logo forum, won't make me lose any sleep about what Ford thinks).

Why would anyone care what Ford thinks unless there's some overwhelming evidence to suggest that they're about to pour tens of millions of dollars into the MLS. When companies have the finances to control a team, they can make the logo whatever they want. (see: Red Bull New York) Besides, I think the logo is generic enough not to stir up any problems (plus the fact that this is a piece of amateur "concept" art on a sports logo forum, won't make me lose any sleep about what Ford thinks).

If you're really serious about arguing that real-world stuff like the potential for legal conflict over your design elements shouldn't affect our judgment of your concept because it's just amateur concept art, then really, you oughtn't bother posting. Don't waste our time if you don't want us to take your concept seriously as a potential real-world design.

That said, I really like the direction your concept took in its last iteration. I'm not sold on the crown-y bits that make this an outright theft of Cadillac's intellectual property, but the shape of the inner crest now looks like the front of an older car. The angle at the top really sells that motif; I'd be inclined to scrap the spikes and take the inner crest as a new starting point. Ditching the chevron and the big blue and red circles, can you build a crest that could also pass as a hood ornament? I think that's the grand prize here: a Detroit soccer crest that could take the place of a classic old hood ornament, rather than just ripping one off. I really think you've got a good set of ingredients here to take this to a much higher level.

Edit: I want to make it clear that, on the whole, I think this concept and its evolution has been very good. I don't mean the tone here to be negative at all. While I think the "homage" to the classic Cadillac hood ornament crosses the line into the improper use of someone else's IP, I think the intent behind the "homage" was good and the resulting concept well done. My real bottom-line opinion is that this set of concept work shows enough promise that it could be taken from "pretty darn good" to "outstandingly awesome" with a bit more work by the designer.

20082614447.png

In World War II, Detroit and the auto industry was known as the ARSENAL of Democracy because the auto plants switched over to making bomber planes. Most notably, the B24 Liberators at the Willow Run plant in Ypsilanti. If one is going to be European about it, the Detroit soccer team should be called the Arsenal.

There actually is (or at least was) an amatuer club in the Detroit area called "Detroit Arsenal." They use/d a recolored version of Arsenal's badge.

I think Ford would be p***ed off if they used a crest that looks similar to the old Cadillac crest.

Why Ford? General Motors has had rights to Cadillac since 1909. :]]

Cadillac departed from ford in 1902.

Exactly. I think Ford would be upset at a Detroit team showing preference to GM... intentional or not.

My bad I totally missed your pint haha.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Archived