Vancouver Devilbears

ltravisjr

Been a bit too busy to design much lately, so I just thought I would dust off something I had been working on earlier. This is for a fictional team called the "Devilbears". I haven't chosen a sport yet, so that is still open. If the name seems odd, a devilbear is just another name for a wolverine, and Vancouver Island is a place known for them. You can probably tell I got my inspiration for this from the Memphis Grizzlies logo. I am just in awe of how the artist used lights and darks in that. The wordmark is a quick hand drawn original so it is subject to improvement. Anyway, just for something new, here you go. Feel free to comment where you might like me to take this (hopefully not to the recycle bin!)...

LT

dbear3.png

First off, why DevilBears? The logo doesnt look to devilsh...

But besides the name, I like the logo, although its like Memphis I still like it. Colours look good but the text is bad.

To be honest, there was a cover story on devilbears in a conservation magazine I came across. Seemed original and doable, so that is why I chose this subject. As I explained, a devilbear is just a wolverine. For the text, I may go to a packaged font, but would like to keep it rather simple like the logo.

Thanks!

LT

Actually, I really like this logo. And even though is is based off the Grizz, I still think you managed to give it its own identity, The coloring is pretty good with the gold and blue, but why not try the same gold, and swithc the blue to a brown color, which would really separate it from the pack. And feel free to add nasal highlights as needed (in white, of course). Maybe also try a thin white outline inside the wordmark between the other 2 colors.

Hmmmm....the Devilbears of Vancouver of Canada of the Arctic Circle of the Northern Hemisphere....

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

It's funny that I actually knew the name "devilbear" before I looked at the concept. PBS really does pay off sometimes! With that being said I think you need to devil up your bear. It doesn't look fierce enough to live up to its name, even if wolverines are somewhat peaceful creatures in the wild.

Edit: I also just noticed you have a black stroke around the gold highlight on his left (your right) cheek, probably wasn't intended.

Alright, thanks for the comments, all. I tried to address some of them here. Fixed the cheek highlight outline, added some nose highlight, and made the wordmark a bit more dynamic. Still not sold on the wordmark, as I am not much for using gimmicks like slash lines. Anyway, you be the judge. As far as fiercing up the bear, I understand the point. It will be a challenge, but I will see what I can do. One other thought: would this "docile" guy work better if the name were "Wolverines" instead of "Devilbears"? I could go that route too, but I hesitate to since to me it seems that name is so strongly identified with the U. of Michigan that it would look out of place anywhere else. Also, regarding colors, I have tried this with several different combinations, and this really looked best. Deep maroon and gold was alright too, but I haven't been able to get brown to work - at least not yet.

LT

dbear4.jpg

It's really good and i like it a lot, but as said by rockngoalie, it doesn't look very fierce. to be honest, i'm very sorry but it reminds me of the old Boston Bruins alternate logo

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

HAve you thought about giving the ears an upward pointiness (a horn type look)? I think that would bring out the "devil"in DevilBear.
HAve you thought about giving the ears an upward pointiness (a horn type look)? I think that would bring out the "devil"in DevilBear.

you beat me to it...

The goal is to make it look like a wolverine, not a devil.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived