Heartland League

illwauk

Big North Conference

Great Southwest Conference

The Heartland League is the former Big XII conference renamed for obvious reasons. Baylor and Texas Tech were nixed because they were really only brought in so that the former Big Eight could have 12 teams. However, with the SEC needing to cut down to 12 teams itself, and Arkansas being rumoured (in real life) to be dissatisfied with their SEC experience, the league drops Iowa State to make room for the Razorbacks (The Cyclones end up as the 10th team in the Mountain West for anyone who cares.)

This is the first logo in my series that I'm not too sure about. I wanted to add some "heartland" imagery to the logo, but I didn't want to use anything that could be interpreted as showing favoritism towards one (or more) of the teams. So I couldn't use corn (Nebraska) or cattle (Texas and Colorado). Unfortunately, I ended up with something that looks like it belongs on a milk carton.

So yea... any advice on how I could better execute what I have or what other direction I could go in altogether would be appreciated.

heartland_lg.png

This is a good start, but I think there's a lot more you could do.

First off, the text. I really don't like the sort of half-capital L in 'Heartland.' Heartland, as you're referring to it, is one word, so there's no need for that. And even if there was, having the L sort of in between the H/D and the rest of the letters in terms of size is really jarring. As well, I think you need to tighten up the kerning on 'Heartland' to make it more cohesive. As for 'League', I think it needs to be smaller. It's currently fighting for space with 'Heartland' when 'Heartland' should be the dominant word.

I agree with kewp80 that more needs to be done with the landscape part as well. Rays from the sun are a good idea. I'd also like to see some rows in a slightly lighter tone of green, indicating rows of crops or the fresh harvest. As it is, it's just parts of three circles; I think it needs a little bit more than that to truly look like a professional design.

Pretty good....maybe you could look into converting the "L" into a silo, or covering a hill with a wheat field.

Just a minor tweak, but IMO the Big XII would sooner boot out Colorado than Iowa State. (JMHO, though...it's your alignment plan.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pretty good....maybe you could look into converting the "L" into a silo, or covering a hill with a wheat field.

Just a minor tweak, but IMO the Big XII would sooner boot out Colorado than Iowa State. (JMHO, though...it's your alignment plan.)

Why do you say that? I ask because Colorado would fit much better in the Mountain West than Iowa State (which is how I have them aligned right now).

Why do you say that? I ask because Colorado would fit much better in the Mountain West than Iowa State (which is how I have them aligned right now).

Just a gut instinct about Colorado having a cultural and regional difference from the other schools in the Conference, as well as a general lack of "rivalry". Honestly, the only rivalry Colorado has right now in the Big XII is with Nebraska, and that's more of an artificial rivalry Colorado created so they could have an in-conference rivalry. Might as well group them with other D-IA teams in Colorado.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I dunno, that sounds more like wishful thinking than anything. I was hoping you knew something about CU that I didn't (like if they had a tenuous relationship with the rest of the conference... something like that).

If it were up to me, I'd have no problems putting Colorado in the Mountain West. But I based these moves based on what I think the conferences would do, not what I would want to happen (I still have Saint Louis in the A-10, for example). And unfortunately for geography's sake, Iowa State's football program is lower on the totem pole than Colorado's and doesn't have the hoops program of a Kansas or Mizzou to make up for it.

Don't get me wrong, if something like this were to happen, I hope you would be right. But things like logic and tradition tend to take a backseat to money in D1 athletics.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have my tweaks up either tonight or tomorrow.

As promised, here's the update.

I tried doing the rows as suggested, but it made the hills looks like giant watermelons, so I decided to go for the shadow effect instead which coincidentally worked well with the placement of the sun. I also made the changes to the wordmarks that were suggested.

heartland_lg-1.png

Archived