Definition of a false start

hrivnak

This has bugging me a lot recently, and I can't find the answer, so I figured somebody here may know... I was wondering if somebody could explain the exact ruling on False Start penalties in the NFL.

It was my understanding that once a lineman got into a 3-point stance that they could not move, else it would be called a false start. But more and more recently, with QB's like Peyton Manning and Carson Palmer changing plays at the line, I constantly see linemen looking back to watch the QB, or pointing out possible blitzing players by pointing at them. What is the point where they can no longer do this? Is it defined, or is it just a judgment call? I don't understand why it is sometimes acceptable for a lineman to completely turn to look at the QB, but sometimes if their arm has a slight muscle spasm it's a false start.

Anybody know?

From Rule 7, Section 3, Article 4...

"From the start of the neutreal zone until the snap, no offensive player, if he assumed a set position, shall charge or move in such a way as to simulate the start of a play (false start)."

PENALTY: For false start: Loss of five yards from spot of snap.

Supplemental Notes:

(1)

When interior lineman of the offensive team (tackle to tackle) takes or simulates a three-point stance and then moves after taking that stance, the offensive team shall be penalized for a false start. The official must blow his whistle immediately.

(2)

The penalty for a false start (Article 4) shall be enforced regardless of whether snap is made. The distance penalty for the false start may be declined.

(3)

Any quick, abrupt movement by a single offensive player or by several offensive players in unison, which simulates the start of the snap is a false start.

Exception: This does not apply to an offensive player under the center who turns his head or shoulders (only) provided he receives a hand to hand snap. Any obvious attempt by the quarerback to draw an opponent offside is to be penalized as a false start.

(4)

Any extension of hands by a player under center as if to receive the snap is a false start unless he receives the snap. This includes any player under or behind the center placing his hands on his knees or on the body of the center.

(5)

Any offensive backfield player, not under center, including a kicker or a place kick holder who extends his hands, does not have to receive the snap, nor must he retract them prior to the snap.

nav-logo.png

"From the start of the neutreal zone until the snap, no offensive player, if he assumed a set position, shall charge or move in such a way as to simulate the start of a play (false start)."

Supplemental Notes:

(1)

When interior lineman of the offensive team (tackle to tackle) takes or simulates a three-point stance and then moves after taking that stance, the offensive team shall be penalized for a false start. The official must blow his whistle immediately.

Okay, but according to this rule (1), they should blow the whistle on almost every play the Colts run. They are constantly turning to look at Manning or using their hands to point out blitzers. That's exactly why I asked the question.

And what the hell does "from the start of the neutral zone until the snap" mean? The neutral zone is a place. The snap is an event. How can you go from one to the other?

Supplemental Notes:

(1)

Okay, but according to this rule (1), they should blow the whistle on almost every play the Colts run. They are constantly turning to look at Manning or using their hands to point out blitzers. That's exactly why I asked the question.

And what the hell does "from the start of the neutral zone until the snap" mean? The neutral zone is a place. The snap is an event. How can you go from one to the other?

But do they get into a three-point stance? If they only get into a two-point stance, they're legal.

LvZYtbZ.png

But as long as they don't pick up their hands, and are just moving but not "flinching", wouldn't it be OK? I think that the rule about the "quick" "abrupt" movement that "simulates" the start of the play is the key here.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As a referee, here is my interpretation of a false start (also known as "illegal procedure"):

Any move before the snap of the ball that simulates the motion at the snap is a false start. All players, except the quarterback and a player in motion, should be perfectly still. But that doesn't always happen, and I use some common sense when enforcing this. As long as a player hasn't committed to the three-point stance, I allow him to adjust his position to make sure he is either onside, or positioned relative to the line of scrimmage.

There's a difference between simulating a snap, and moving to set one's self in motion.

When you see linemen in the NFL pointing at the defense, they're not simulating a snap, so it's legal.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Archived