Afl's detroit fury to unveil new unis soon

nitroseed

I just read on the Fury's website that they will be unveiling new uniforms on Saturday, Jan. 31 at the season ticket holder party. This will make the fourth or fifth veteran team to receive new uniforms this season:

- Las Vegas Gladiators

- Carolina Cobras

- Georgia Force

- Detroit Fury

- Columbus Destroyers (maybe)

Combine that with the three expansion teams, that's seven or eight new looks for this season.

I believe that the Orlando Predators may also have a new look for this season as well. I'm waiting for them to get their merchandise shop set up before I confirm that. The Indiana Firebirds might also be getting new duds, as they have no jerseys at all for sale in their online store. Might be nothing, but worth noting.

I'm theorizing that last year's successful national TV debut earned these clubs a lot of extra money that allowed them to revamp their look a bit. That's really great news for the clubs and for the league if that is so. Hopefully, they'll continue to gain in popularity this coming season.

I'll post some pictures of the Fury's new threads whenever I get a hold of them, unless someone beats me to it.

All I know is that Boston, Washington and Nashville are interested in bringing teams to their markets. Nashville is ultimately trying to return their former team, the Kats, to their city (they moved to Georgia to become the Force). With there only being four expansion spots in the next two years, that only leaves room for one more if these three are all granted teams.

The uniforms this year have gone away from the absurd and into the realm of class and professionalisim. I think this can only help the AFL sell itself and market itself better. Their TV numbers last year weren't spectacualr, but i think this year they'll get a good push, and they may begin to grow even more...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

All I know is that Boston, Washington and Nashville are interested in bringing teams to their markets. Nashville is ultimately trying to return their former team, the Kats, to their city (they moved to Georgia to become the Force). With there only being four expansion spots in the next two years, that only leaves room for one more if these three are all granted teams.

I believe Washington and Nashville are in but have been given flexibility from the league as to when they will field their teams.  I think Washington comes on line next year.  St. Louis supposedly has an open invitation and I think they are going to wait for the new SLU arena to open (2006) as they would prefer to play there (13,000 seats as opposed to Savvis's 20,000).  This may get pushed out to 2007, however so that the team doesn't have to compete with the novelty effect of the new Cardinals ballpark which is slated to open the same year.

Why not KC? They drew pretty good when they played a Nuetral site game at Kemper Arena.

Saturday July 25, 1998

Nashville Kats 57   Florida Bobcats 39  

Attendance 7,967  Kemper Arena (Kansas City, MO)

League average is about 11,000. More people would come if it were a home town team. KC is a GREAT football town, and i believe they would have a great following. I know in the past Lamar Hunt said he is not interested in a Arena team. That's a shame, i think he could make more money with that opposed to the 2 or 3 MLS teams he owns.

Why not KC? They drew pretty good when they played a Nuetral site game at Kemper Arena.

Saturday July 25, 1998

Nashville Kats 57 Florida Bobcats 39

Attendance 7,967 Kemper Arena (Kansas City, MO)

League average is about 11,000. More people would come if it were a home town team. KC is a GREAT football town, and i believe they would have a great following. I know in the past Lamar Hunt said he is not interested in a Arena team. That's a shame, i think he could make more money with that opposed to the 2 or 3 MLS teams he owns.

EZ, I think Mr. Hunt is pretty sensitive to his neighbors across the HSTSC parking lot and doesn't want to provide a sporting attraction that might take fans away from the Royals.  Until very recently you will recall there were some real attendance issues at Kauffman.

For the record, I think KC would be a great AFL town but not if it affects the Royals in a negative fashion.

Well, it might and it might not... it's hard to say. The AFL season only overlaps the MLB season by one month: April. But by that time, the AFL would be in the playoff drive and MLB would just be kicking off. That has the potential to hurt the Royals' opening season attendance/interest and might stunt further interest later in the season. However, the AFL is still "new" (relatively speaking... they're in their 18th season, but they've only had national exposure for one season), so KC might not even catch on to it for a year or two.

Saturday July 25, 1998

Nashville Kats 57 Florida Bobcats 39

Attendance 7,967 Kemper Arena (Kansas City, MO)

EZ, I think Mr. Hunt is pretty sensitive to his neighbors across the HSTSC parking lot and doesn't want to provide a sporting attraction that might take fans away from the Royals. Until very recently you will recall there were some real attendance issues at Kauffman.

For the record, I think KC would be a great AFL town but not if it affects the Royals in a negative fashion.

well personally i don't think the same crowd would follow Arena Football that does follow Baseball. I think that Chiefs fans would go in force, and Royals fans are not always chiefs fans and vice versa. I think people would go to both. Hell KC has a independant Baseball team (the T-Bones) and they draw well.

Archived