Are basketball shorts too long or am I too old?

omnibus

I come from the Fav5 generation. In high school, our team (Cleveland Heights) was the first in our area (Cleveland) to wear the baggy shorts. We wore black socks too, GASP!

We worked our butts off at the polling stations in our town moving boxes of votes all over the place. When the money came in we wanted the baggy shorts, hell we demanded them. In middle school, I hated the nutters. I had underwear less tight then those things. I am not joking, my junk HURT in those things. So our couch, G*d bless Coach Capiletti caved and we got our Fab5 shorts. This was 1993.

Baggy shorts ment they went to our knees. But it was AT the knee.

Now "jams" or "capris' or hell "floods" are the rage. I dont get it. They look stupid. And it is only in the NCAA. The NBA doesnt have them...yet. I went and bought a pair of basketball shorts the other day and DAMN I look like an idiot. I don't get it...am I too old?

Well, the NBA doesn't have it because they still have the rule that says it can't go a certain length below the knee. And knowing how David Stern is REALLY trying to get the NBA away from "that" image, I don't see that rule changing anytime soon.

I didn't really notice that the NCAA was getting to capri-status until I saw this. All I know is this, it's cool to wear that on the playground. On the court for a game, you really look sloppy. That's just me.

You know, I used to think that the length of shorts was something to be concerned about in basketball, but then I saw pics of guys in the old days - pics that in some cases reminded me what religion a player was.

My problem with basketball isn't the shorts but the tops, particularly as they pertain to tattoos. The NBA's image (and to some extent the NCAA's) has gone "thug" in the eyes of old farts (the ones who can afford the tickets, not the ones who buy the shoes, the sports drinks, etc.) because guys seem to have tatts going from their chin to their crotch.

While I don't have a problem with tatts myself, it is perceived as 'thuggish' by older America when a black man sports multiple, visible tatts. If the guy's white, he's either 'trailer park' or a 'biker.' Correct or not, these perceptions have an impact on the bottom line - and the NBA would perhaps be well suited to allow guys to wear full sleeve shirts under their tanks (*cough* Allen Iverson *cough*) to mitigate this type of imagery.

nav-logo.png

You know, I used to think that the length of shorts was something to be concerned about in basketball, but then I saw pics of guys in the old days - pics that in some cases reminded me what religion a player was.

My problem with basketball isn't the shorts but the tops, particularly as they pertain to tattoos. The NBA's image (and to some extent the NCAA's) has gone "thug" in the eyes of old farts (the ones who can afford the tickets, not the ones who buy the shoes, the sports drinks, etc.) because guys seem to have tatts going from their chin to their crotch.

While I don't have a problem with tatts myself, it is perceived as 'thuggish' by older America when a black man sports multiple, visible tatts. If the guy's white, he's either 'trailer park' or a 'biker.' Correct or not, these perceptions have an impact on the bottom line - and the NBA would perhaps be well suited to allow guys to wear full sleeve shirts under their tanks (*cough* Allen Iverson *cough*) to mitigate this type of imagery.

As you said, you don't have a problem with tats, but its not very common that I get to work one of my favorite quotes into conversation....so this is not directed at you...

Do you know the difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos?

I don't care that you don't have any.

Slightly longer shorts look fine... the current NBA rule is a good length. I don't see any reason to wear baggier shorts or to wear normal-fitting shorts down under your ass cheeks to make them look like capris. You look like a moron and I can't even begin to list off the amount of times I've seen people wearing super-long shorts go for a spin move or cross over and just switch their handle through the legs and have the ball get caught in their parachute shorts, thus turning the ball over. For every sick ball handler that wears huge shorts (like the Professor from the And 1 Mixtape Tour) there's 20 Joe Schmo's that think they're the next streetball legend and end up goofing up and losing their handle in their clothes.

"The true New Yorker secretly believes that anyone living anywhere else has got to be, in some sense, kidding."

As you said, you don't have a problem with tats, but its not very common that I get to work one of my favorite quotes into conversation....so this is not directed at you...

Do you know the difference between people with tattoos and people without tattoos?

I don't care that you don't have any.

I like that one.

nav-logo.png

I think today's stuff can be too baggy. I wish they would just make a consistent cut. Being a PE Teacher, I have to get a Large shirt Medium short in this brand, but an XXL shirt and XL short in that brand just to have similar clothes. When a family member calls and asks to pick me up something, the first things I ask are "Does it have a basketball logo somewhere on it?" and "Was it near any basketball clothes or displays?" Knees to ankles showing should be shorts. I think thighs are too short and covered ankles are rediculous.

KISSwall09.jpg

Archived