St. Louis MLS Primary Kit

thebigeh

This is my first time posting a uniform concept here. This is based on the possible Major League Soccer team in St. Louis. It is only the primary kit, I did not do a secondary one. I did this using the primitive Paint program so it's obviously not the best looking thing out there. If any of you have Illustrator, feel free to take this concept and use it for yourselves. Here it is:

StLouisSoccer.jpg

I've based the design on the uniforms worn by the 1950 U.S. Soccer team when they upset England in a World Cup qualifying match in Brazil. A good number of the players on that side came from St. Louis. The movie The Game of Their Lives, which looks at that victory, had most of the story taking place in St. Louis.

The 1950 side had a red sash. My uniform substitutes red with green, as the colors blue and green are whats being used for the St. Louis Soccer United proposal to get into MLS. Look closely and their logo is used on the upper right side of the jersey. I didn't do a back side, but you could envision it as all white with green numbers and lettering.

Like I said, this is my first design that I posted here. And I did the best I could with what I have. Feel free to tell me what you think of it.

Well, I guess I will give you some real constructive critisism.

For starters the jersey is VERY plain, most MLS teams have a wordmark across the chest of the jersey, and then the team's creast on the upper right. I would put some sort of wordmark over the green sash. Or if you really feel that you don't have the skills to create a wordmark, some MLS teams just use a sponsor logo in its place--Maybe someting St. Louis based like Anheuser Busch.

Jersey and pant stripes in the MLS are pretty much what make up the jerseys, you need some pizzazz with this, simple sleve, collar, and a pant stripe aren't very appealing.

Also, what IS their crest logo, you're telling me to look closely but I can only strain my eyes so far until they start bleeding, you need to include a larger image of the logo to the side of your concept.

People on these boards really want to be told to "imagine" what a concept would look like, anyone can imagine a great concept and think it's great, but in you want comments on a concept you'd better draw it out, so I would suggest that you do make a back side to your jersey, It's very simple, the MLS numbers used by each team are practiacally the same, you don't have to use any fancy fonts or anything.

Also in the MLS the numbers on the back of the jerseys are--with the exception of New York Red Bull and Chivas-- black or white, but making the numbers green is no biggie I suppose. When most people make concepts they include home and away, so whichever this jersey is, I would create a dark one to be either the home or away jersey.

I understand that this is your first concept, but I think if you would put some time and effort into this it could turn out alright, just listen to suggestions people give you and take some time to put said suggestions to work.

I would incorporate the stripes that are one the back crest, using the green and the lighter green, then keep the shorts blue. I love the crest they made though, It would be awesome if they got a team and actually used that crest. Still, you actually made a nice clean (and believable) concept on your first try, which many don't do. Keep working on it, and remember just because you use paint doesn't mean you can't make great concepts. I would suggest getting Paint.Net, which you could easily find on google.

Cardinals -- Rams -- Blues -- Tigers -- Liverpool

Check out my music!

Well, I guess I will give you some real constructive critisism.

For starters the jersey is VERY plain, most MLS teams have a wordmark across the chest of the jersey, and then the team's creast on the upper right. I would put some sort of wordmark over the green sash. Or if you really feel that you don't have the skills to create a wordmark, some MLS teams just use a sponsor logo in its place--Maybe someting St. Louis based like Anheuser Busch.

Jersey and pant stripes in the MLS are pretty much what make up the jerseys, you need some pizzazz with this, simple sleve, collar, and a pant stripe aren't very appealing.

Also, what IS their crest logo, you're telling me to look closely but I can only strain my eyes so far until they start bleeding, you need to include a larger image of the logo to the side of your concept.

People on these boards really want to be told to "imagine" what a concept would look like, anyone can imagine a great concept and think it's great, but in you want comments on a concept you'd better draw it out, so I would suggest that you do make a back side to your jersey, It's very simple, the MLS numbers used by each team are practiacally the same, you don't have to use any fancy fonts or anything.

Also in the MLS the numbers on the back of the jerseys are--with the exception of New York Red Bull and Chivas-- black or white, but making the numbers green is no biggie I suppose. When most people make concepts they include home and away, so whichever this jersey is, I would create a dark one to be either the home or away jersey.

I understand that this is your first concept, but I think if you would put some time and effort into this it could turn out alright, just listen to suggestions people give you and take some time to put said suggestions to work.

I had planned on making it plain in an attempt to give it a rather pure look in the days before advertising on soccer jerseys was considered acceptable. However, I will respond to your suggestion and give my design a wordmark on the front of the jersey:

StLouisSoccer2.jpg

I have tried to paste the logo of St. Louis Soccer United on this board, but to no avail. If you want to see what their logo looks like, then click onto their website here.

And I have done, to my best ability, a backside of their primary kit:

StLouisSoccer2-1.jpg

I wanted to keep the numbers and lettering the same color green because the numbers on the back of those 1950 U.S. Soccer uniforms were red and I am substituting red for green to keep up with the symbolism. The font was the closest I could find to match the font used by MLS teams.

I hope this helps out.

I dunno Patsox, I rather like the idea of the jersey spelling out 'Saint', it does give it a more traditional and European feel to it.

thebigeh, I'm going to help you out a bit; give me a day and I'll see what I can do for a St. Louis concept to show to you what I meant as far as my C&C goes.

Archived