Whadda ya use?

pagan696

I am thinking of purchasing a digital tablet because I just can't do what I want to do using a mouse.  What do you guys use?  If you use a tablet, what do you suggest based on price and performance?  Let me know what ya think...

i mouse and use the keyboard shortcuts.

at work, one of our designers prefers his Wacom tablet (approx. 8" x 10") and likes the airbrush type response. photoshop and painter (his favorite) allow pressure sensitivity, so if you're more used to that type of "drawing", you'll like it. the prices are around $200 US for the smaller ones and up to $1800 US for ones with monitors built in (like drawing right on screen).

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I use the small Wacom tablet, usually priced around $100. Some sites sell them refurbisdhed for around $80 if you look. I was a hard convert because I wasn't sure if I could use it like I wanted to in Illustrator, but I love it. I'm much faster with it than a mouse. Plus it's just amazing for control in Photoshop. It does take some getting used to. If I can't use the pen and tablet I prefer an optical mouse for control.

I knew someone would say that this was in the wrong place, but honestly, I never read any forums other than the sports logo forum and I assume others do the same.  I'm not trying to be a jerk and I know the "rules," I was just hoping to elicit the greatest response.

Sorry if I offended...

No Problem just rember this for the future

if its about Logos or Jerseys it belongs in the logo forum.

If its a request for a logo it goes in the resuest section

and if its about anything else it goes in General Discussion.

In addition we have the fantasy sports forums for teh fantasy sports we have.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Is a tablet a piece of hardware you pro designers reccomend? I mean, it's what I wanna do, is it something I should try?

it's a tool like everything else.  how you craft your work is up to you.  there's not "only one way" to doing things.  i think the tablets are better for airbrush type work (read raster), but rozilla uses it for illustrator also, so it must work fine.  it's worth looking into if you currently prefer to hand draw, pencil shade, or use like airbrush tools in photoshop for highlighting and shading.  they do require a bit of setup and getting used to, but once you grasp it, you may decide its better than mousing.

it can also be used for any other programs that require input devices, just like a mouse.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

Is a tablet a piece of hardware you pro designers reccomend? I mean, it's what I wanna do, is it something I should try?

it's a tool like everything else. how you craft your work is up to you. there's not "only one way" to doing things. i think the tablets are better for airbrush type work (read raster), but rozilla uses it for illustrator also, so it must work fine. it's worth looking into if you currently prefer to hand draw, pencil shade, or use like airbrush tools in photoshop for highlighting and shading. they do require a bit of setup and getting used to, but once you grasp it, you may decide its better than mousing.

it can also be used for any other programs that require input devices, just like a mouse.

Maybe I'll try it then...

ive used a mouse for all of my work, but a tablet sems like a cool idea. I bought one a while back, but lost patience with learning how to get it all set up and using it.

But this thread reminded me of it, so i have pulled it out of the drawer.. i'll let you know how it goes.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

The latest tablets like the Wacom I use at work and home are USB and pretty easy to operate. You just need to install the drivers that come with the cd. Check out:

http://www.wacom.com/productinfo/4x5.cfm

It may take some getting used to in Illustrator, but I find that it lets me manipulate points quicker. The big bonus is that it makes things easier on your wrist if you are worried about carpel tunnel.

I recently got the wacom tablet, and it is nice for certain things, but i find i go to my mouse a lot too.  Its really nice to outline around things for general shapes, and for just drawing out concepts.  But the mouse is still needed for playing with the anchor points, handles, etc.

For their money, id say they are worth it.

Archived