great year for ohio sports teams

HatManTC

c'mon, if you're a real fan, anything short of coming out on top is pretty much considered failure. that's how it is with the pistons, red wings, tigers, and michigan football. the lions...well...that's a work in progress. and really, the indians blew it like they always seem to do, the cavs got to the finals via the hands of the pistons and then lost, ohio state lost another big game at the end, and the browns blew their shot at the playoffs. to me it just sounds like a bunch of "close, but no cigar" kind of moments. i'm not saying that michigan sports have been doing any better, but when the tigers lost the world series the way they did, i completely forgot about how they had gotten that far. in the end i can say that it was a magical season and it was certainly a fun ride, but in the history books it's always going to come out with us finishing #2.

siggg.png

c'mon, if you're a real fan, anything short of coming out on top is pretty much considered failure. that's how it is with the pistons, red wings, tigers, and michigan football. the lions...well...that's a work in progress. and really, the indians blew it like they always seem to do, the cavs got to the finals via the hands of the pistons and then lost, ohio state lost another big game at the end, and the browns blew their shot at the playoffs. to me it just sounds like a bunch of "close, but no cigar" kind of moments. i'm not saying that michigan sports have been doing any better, but when the tigers lost the world series the way they did, i completely forgot about how they had gotten that far. in the end i can say that it was a magical season and it was certainly a fun ride, but in the history books it's always going to come out with us finishing #2.

So you went to all that trouble just to agree with us?

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

im very sorry that i brought up all those shortcomings.

siggg.png

im very sorry that i brought up all those shortcomings.

You just went on about how anything short of a title is failure then at the end you said that despite the aforementioned failure, "it was a magical season." It seems to me that you contradicted your entire premise with one sentence. If all fans saw it as championship or bust then there would be a lot of empty stadiums and arenas on game day. But there aren't so there must be more to it than winning it all. Following a favorite team is fun and it's entertaining. No more, no less. If you let it become more than that then it might be time to reassess your priorities.

BB52Big.jpg

how did i contradict everything? yes, it was a great season. but that's never gonna be the #1 thing in my mind, i'm always going to remember a horrible world series and that to me, is what matters most. you can have fun all along the whole way but in my opinion, if you don't come out on top, there isn't any success past the point of "we were #1 in our league/conference." when it's the start of the season, you don't start out hoping to finish #2, so why be satisfied with anything else?

siggg.png

to be honest with you i think this must have something to do with differences in location. in detroit, the pistons, red wings, and tigers are all teams that are now expected to finish at the top. the lions suck but that's besides the point. i can guarantee that you don't hold these expections with the cavs, blue jackets, and browns. not to mention michigan football, msu basketball, and our college hockey teams as well. there is a high level of expectation here. all members of these organizations are comitted to one common goal...ultimately finishing on top. sure, every franchise does have to go through times of strife, but other than that i can honestly say that the true fans around here expect a lot. we are a tough working city and we expect the same from our sports teams, can't really say much more than that. the 2 hardest jobs in sports have to be detroit lions qb and red wings goalie. i mean, i'm sure you could argue others but i can really only comment on what i see, and those few guys are under constant pressure. in closing, the point ultimately is that a high standard has been set by past teams here in detroit. if they don't live up to these high standards, the people will let you know about it...and i am one of the people. you can be happy with whatever, i'm just telling you how i feel.

siggg.png

I guess if your baseball team makes the playoffs once in 20 some years that's deffinately cause to hold them to a higher stadard.

the ohio teams would like to thank the them teams from up north for the dominance we had over them this year

OhioStateBuckeyesLightBanner.png by RoscoeUA

hailtothechief.png by gingerbreadman

the ohio teams would like to tank the them teams from up north for the dominance we had over them this year

Same as it ever was. Gotta give the kid credit though, being a Detroit fan isn't an easy gig. I wonder how long that "standard" he has set will last. My guess is that in a few years he'll be wishing his teams were having unmemorable seasons like ours.

BB52Big.jpg

well of course the detroit tigers standard was absent for some amount of years but after their trip to the world series, that standard was immediately set. after missing the playoffs this year, dave dombrowski went out and added and a pluthera of talent, keeping the bar set high. the point is not of how long the standard has been that high for one particular team, it is that the expectations have really always been there. you are aware when your team is in a rebuilding phase, and you adjust. for the most part, the tigers, red wings, and pistons have been solid. when you know they are going to be bad, you of course think realistically. when you know you're going to have a playoff type team, you expect the best. like i said before, we demand the same out of them, in doing their job, as we do in ours. i'm not going to chip at the soul of a sad ohio sports fan too bad, you sadly haven't been able to see the stanley cup or an nba championship. roll down the craig krenzel poster, and put away the bernie kosar jersey, and stop being satisfied with good regular seasons and choking when it matters. in my lifetime i have seen red wings, pistons, michigan, and michigan state titles, compared to 1 ohio state national championship. trust me, you have nothing to brag about.

siggg.png

So, I'm getting one thing from this thread...

Ohio Sports: Accept Mediocrity.

Mediocre: of only moderate quality; not very good. Mediocre teams don't play for championships.

A guy that plays in Loyola's pep band is running smack on Ohio State fans? That's rich. Have fun in the no one gives a :censored: conference tournament.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived