Marquette Basketball 1970's/80's

illwauk

Man, I had no idea Marquette had such a storied uniform history. Of course, I've heard about and seen the untucked McGuire uniforms before, but MU never struck me as a particularly distinctive program from a uni standpoint during my lifetime.

Me either. I was aware of the McGuire unis because MU made it to the final four in 2003 and that was at the apex of the throwback craze, but all of these other ones were new to me. Since there seems to be more than a few people here who seem to know their uniform history maybe someone can tell me what made them go from being so uninhibited and innovative in the 70?s and early 80?s to being bland and conservative for most of the late 80?s and 90?s. Even the D-Wade era jerseys look uninspired compared to what they had in the McGuire/Post-McGuire years.

The fact that Al McGuire was vice chairman of the board of Medalist Industries, a sports equipment manufacturer based outside Milwaukee, had a lot to do with it. Every time Marquette had a national TV appearance, they'd unveil a new uniform.

Ahh... that makes sense.

Even though I'm not sure how I feel about the 70's style alts with the 90's style wordmark-instead-of-regular-font, finding those pic really makes me appreciate seeing MU try new things again. Especially now that the program is as strong as its been since the McGuire era.

Archived