Chicago Women's Professional Soccer

Brian in Boston

As far as these names go, I think that Red Stars is by far the best available option. It best represents the city.

And it wasn't a dumb cow that kicked over a lantern, it was some drunk that walked into Mrs. O'Leary's barn.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Right, without the Fire the city wouldn't be the architectural world leader it is today. Young architects from all over the US flocked to Chicago to help rebuild it. The streets were redrawn, the buildings rebuilt, and the debris pushed into the lake to form the area east of Lakeshore drive.
Well, it was more than architecture. The railroad and business booms (and the World's Colombian Exposition) were a direct result of the Great Fire. And those are all things that made Chicago the 'second city'.
It was a horrible event that took the lives of far too many. But it also helped the city recreate itself.
The Fire didn't kill that many people as far as these things go, around a hundred or so. The Peshtigo fire in Wisconsin the same night killed two thousand. The greater 'damage' in Chicago was the square miles of burnt-out area.
But there are other events as well in the city's history that are just as important.
Not really. There are other important events, but few if any AS important and seminal.
Also, why do you have to co-brand with the men's team? This team should be able to survive on the merits of its identity alone, without needing to trade off of the other team.
Well, sure, they don't HAVE to. However if you look at the origins of the women's team, who's in charge, and how they are aligning themselves with the Fire and the existing fanbase it's a natural connection. It woeks to their benefit if they relate their identity to that of soccer in Chicago and the successful and well-supported men's club. I suppose it's less "co-branding" than coordinated branding. It exists both on its own and as a clear relative of the men's club.
Also, while the fire may have made some development in the city possible, to contend that without a dumb cow kicking over a lantern, the city would not be there, completely ignores Chicago's advantageous location for trade and as a hub for the railroad networks.
Without the Great Fire, St. Louis would be the railroad hub and trade capital of the Midwest. This isn't much disputed by historians. There are some that argue Toledo (yeah, I know, seriously), if the canal had been built through there instead of Chicago, but the point stands.
Also...1871 is an attempt to make your team name sound "cool" and "European". This completely ignores that those teams in Europe have year names indicating the year of their founding....not referencing a disaster.
Suppose that's in the eye of the beholder. "1871" to Chicagoans means "Great Fire". Any relationship to European (really, German) names is coincidental. And again, merely talking about the event as a disaster, full stop, misses the point somehow. It's not nearly the same as calling a Louisiana team the Hurricanes or something.

For the record, i rather like "Progress" in theory, or some reference to the 33 World's Fair as it's an overlooked chapter in Chicago history. But it doesn't really work in context with the women's team.

Well, it was more than architecture. The railroad and business booms (and the World's Colombian Exposition) were a direct result of the Great Fire. And those are all things that made Chicago the 'second city'.

It's been a couple of years since I read "Devil in the White City," but I do recall Chicago had some other things going for it besides being a "new city". I will point out that the Stockyards were a going concern before the fire, and were not consumed by it.

Not really. There are other important events, but few if any AS important and seminal.
Columbian Exposition is just as important IMO. Shoot...I thought of a perfect "Euro" style name-White City FC.
Well, sure, they don't HAVE to. However if you look at the origins of the women's team, who's in charge, and how they are aligning themselves with the Fire and the existing fanbase it's a natural connection. It woeks to their benefit if they relate their identity to that of soccer in Chicago and the successful and well-supported men's club. I suppose it's less "co-branding" than coordinated branding. It exists both on its own and as a clear relative of the men's club.

I still like establishing your own identity. Although "Red Stars" can also tie into the Chicago Fire name. *winks*

Without the Great Fire, St. Louis would be the railroad hub and trade capital of the Midwest. This isn't much disputed by historians. There are some that argue Toledo (yeah, I know, seriously), if the canal had been built through there instead of Chicago, but the point stands.

Except this little thing we like to call "The Father of Waters" AKA the Mississippi River is a major impediment to St. Louis being THE hub for the midwest/linking East and West. The Eads Bridge won't come on line before 1874, and that one bridge still wouldn't be enough. Chicago had several things going for it before the fire-it's lakefront position facilitates trade with Canada, and because there are no major rivers to cross, you can build a sizable rail infrastructure easily liking the Midwest with the East. I'd also point out that Chicago was becoming the infrastructure hub before the fire.

Suppose that's in the eye of the beholder. "1871" to Chicagoans means "Great Fire". Any relationship to European (really, German) names is coincidental. And again, merely talking about the event as a disaster, full stop, misses the point somehow. It's not nearly the same as calling a Louisiana team the Hurricanes or something.

The only reason an American soccer team adopts a year as a nickname is so that they can sound Euro-style. It is supposed to appeal to the masses without understanding the reasoning behind the German names' selection. It is stupid, patronizing, and attempting to paint your team as having a history it lacks.

For the record, i rather like "Progress" in theory, or some reference to the 33 World's Fair as it's an overlooked chapter in Chicago history. But it doesn't really work in context with the women's team.

I'll just close with a sarcastic suggestion of Olympique Chicago/Olympique Chicagoland.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The current results as of March 5, 2008 are: Red Stars..........227 points; 22.8%

1871...............167 points; 16.8%

Blues..............146 points; 14.7%

Wind...............146 points; 14.7%

Riot................129 points; 13.0%

Union...............80 points; 8.0%

Massacre...........50 points; 5.0%

Towers..............24 points; 2.4%

Progress............14 points; 1.4%

Stinking Onions...12 points; 1.2%

I don't know which is scarier... the fact that my choice (Stinking Onions) is dead last, or that they're using a 5-3-1 points system and the top vote-getter has the equivalent of only around 45 first-place votes.

C'mon, CCSLC! Here's a potential chance to name a franchise! STINKING ONIONS! STINKING ONIONS! STINKING ONIONS!!!

nav-logo.png

Columbian Exposition is just as important IMO. Shoot...I thought of a perfect "Euro" style name-White City FC.
That event does not take place without the occurrence of the Great Fire, period.

You make many good points that I'd like to debate, but this discussion is better suited to a weekend seminar than a sports design forum.

Here's a little light reading for both of you.

51D2WTQHC9L._OU01_AA240_SH20_.jpg

Amazon -- City of the Century

As you can see, it was also the template for a series on PBS' "American Experience." I had the good fortune of taking two classes and conducting an independent study with Donald Miller in college. Based on that, his books that I have read and watching the PBS series, I suspect this is a very good read (even though I haven't read this one).

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Stinking Onions is clearly a joke entry - legend has it that the origin of the name "Chicago" translates to "stinking onion field." Red Stars, on the other hand, is quite a fine name which could lend itself to a solid identity.

"Red Stars" just reminds me too much of communists :D

btw, when'd a new women's soccer league start up again? is it completely new or a reboot of the WUSA?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived