East Texas Pump Jacks Unveil Identity

Brian in Boston

The Texas Collegiate League expansion team based in Kilgore, Texas has unveiled its identity. The team will be known as the East Texas Pump Jacks. The name is derived from the piece of oil field equipment that is used to mechanically lift oil out of a well if enough bottom-hole pressure doesn't exist to force said liquid to naturally flow to the surface.

The team unveiled a pair of primary marks. Both were designed by Studio Simon, which - as per usual - did an absolutely outstanding job.

header.gif

The logo featuring the donkey is inspired by the fact that pump jacks are often referred to as "nodding donkeys". The dinosaur logo makes reference to oil being classified as a fossil fuel, as well as the popular theory that fossil fuels developed from the remains of dinosaurs.

Team colors are Dark Green (representing the Piney Woods), Black (representing oil), Cardinal and Tan.

I dig the wordmarks, but the animals themselves look like Disney characters that never saw the light of day. I could do better in my sleep.

And why are there derricks in the background of the dinosaur logo instead of pumpjacks?!

Sigs are for sissies.

I dig the wordmarks, but the animals themselves look like Disney characters that never saw the light of day. I could do better in my sleep.

And why are there derricks in the background of the dinosaur logo instead of pumpjacks?!

Those are pumpjacks. Oil derricks are drilling rigs that have a tower over them.

I like the concept with the dinosaur, but must agree that they do have a Disney like quality.

rangersCBSig.gif

I didn't realize east texas had its fair share of pump jacks, i associated that with west texas near midland/odessa.

Those are pumpjacks. Oil derricks are drilling rigs that have a tower over them.

actually in the dinosaur logo, they are oil derricks where as the general background and donkey logo have the pump jacks. though i am curious as to why the dinosaur logo would use an oil derrick, i guess given the oil theme it works anyway.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Kilgore is about 20 minutes from where I live (Tyler), and I couldn't even tell you where Driller Park is at. I guarantee you we would have a Minor League team right now if it weren't for us being a dry county....but alas, I'll go see the PumpJacks (they probably have more talent than the Rangers...), make my kindergarten jokes about the name, and when the jerseys pop out into the world, I'll see what I can do about getting some pics and whatnot.....

Oh, and Dinosaurs + lots of time passing by = oil. There is the Dino/derrick connection Coast to Coast.

willieMcGee_2.jpg

If you inherit Randy Johnson's facial genes, he owes you $97,000 at the very least.

well i doubt driller park was really a minor league quality stadium. Bryan/College Station got a Texas Collegiate team last summer called the Brazos Valley Bombers and they played at some old neglected stadium which was renovated for the team and renamed Brazos Valley Bank Ballpark. I didnt even know that stadium existed until the team came to town. They did a pretty decent job at fixing up the stadium. The games were fun to go to, granted Brazos County isnt a dry county either :D

looks good to me. the idea of having 2 primary logos used interchangeably intigues me and i hope they do it successfully. i feel like i have seen that donkey's face before, but i would never think studio simon would do anything like that. the one thing i hope they do is wear red hats...i mean if they wear green the logos look dumb.

Archived