New Uni Watch column on ESPN.com

darkhaha

Man, I love Ebbets Field Flannels.

But they're addictive - I had them make a custom 1931 minor league Brewers jersey for me, and now I've got a half-dozen more on my list....

Just curious, how much more was it for them to make a one off custom, as opposed to ordering from the catalog?

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

You know, I really want to love Ebbets Field Flannels. The quality and craftsmanship of their products is exemplary; their historical accuracy and customer service (at least in my experience) -- not so much. The Uni Watch article reminded me of this, as last year I ordered the exact same Bears jersey shown in the left photo below (which is purportedly a 1969 Denver Bears home). The Bear emblem is correct (a switch from the previous years), but the script Ebbets was trying to do was actually used from 1963-68 and looks like that in the right photo below.

DenverBearsEbbets.jpg63BearsKelley.jpg

Notice the pronounced drop-shadow on the script and numbers in the vintage photo. In '69 the team actually switched to a script that looks like this:

71DenverBearsfireworks.jpg

So the jersey that Ebbets sells as a 1969 Denver Bears Home has the correct sleeve patch and numbering, but a totally inaccurate script which is not even a very good recreation of the one they were trying to do. At the time, I sent Ebbets customer service a detailed email about the inaccuracies, and I received a reply from Jerry Cohen, the owner, in which he said he couldn't possibly address all the points of my note because he was too busy. In his defense, he did say I could return the jersey and they would make the one I wanted, but after waiting over 8 weeks (not the 4 to 6 they claim on the their site), I didn't feel like sending it back (mistakes and all, the damn thing is still pretty cool!). It's interesting to me that even after being made aware of the inaccuracies, they continue to sell the same demonstrably incorrect jersey.

All this being said, I DO love the whole idea of their company, and since hope springs eternal, I have ordered a custom 1960s style Denver Bears dugout jacket. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Archived