O say can you see...

gueman

I came across Paul Lukas' article on smoking pro athletes today. And the photos of the modified Orioles jersey's for Earl Weaver and Cal Sr. are surprising. Although the one of the pro cyclist is good too. Well not exactly good, but worth a comment.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I remember watching an old NBC Game of the Week when Hank Aaron was playing. They showed him in the dugout when the Braves were batting, and he was smoking a cigarette. Either Vin Scully or Joe Garagiola said, "Henry, you're not supposed to do that during the game."

I consider pipe and cigar smoking totally different than cigarette smoking, simply because people didn't get hooked on cigars or pipes the way they did on cigarettes. Cigars and pipes were consided leisurely things to do, while cigarettes became terribly habitual.

As for those old Chesterfield ads, Chesterfield was notorious for paying even non-smokers to show up in their ads. Chesterfield artists would often paint in cigarettes, as they did with a famous one of Ronald Reagan.

I remember watching an old NBC Game of the Week when Hank Aaron was playing. They showed him in the dugout when the Braves were batting, and he was smoking a cigarette. Either Vin Scully or Joe Garagiola said, "Henry, you're not supposed to do that during the game."

I consider pipe and cigar smoking totally different than cigarette smoking, simply because people didn't get hooked on cigars or pipes the way they did on cigarettes. Cigars and pipes were consided leisurely things to do, while cigarettes became terribly habitual.

Well a few years ago watching a Marlins game I remember Jim Leland walking to the mound with the cigarette cupped in his hand.

As for cigars and pipes you smoke them differently. You don't inhale, and I think that is what makes cigarettes so addictive, IMHO. And I never understood playing while chewing tobacco. I a few times in softball and I had such a buzz going it was like WOW.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

If you look again at the two old Chesterfield ads that have multiple endorsements, you will see the same photo of Stan Musial, except they painted a cigarette in his mouth on the second one.

There really was some clever artistic work in those Chesterfield ads. Look at the one of Gil Hodges, for example. I don't know if it was traced or what, but it was sure done well.

But I remember, as a kid in the 1960s, that those who smoked Chesterfields weren't exactly cool. They were usually stodgy types who often wore bowties instead of the thin neckties that were popular in the early and mid-'60s.

The cool cigarette smokers smoked Winstons, Marlboros, Pall Malls, Salems, Bel Airs, Camels, Old Gold Filters, etc.

The uncool cigarette smokers smoked Chesterfields, Kents, Viceroys, Kools, Lucky Strikes, Old Gold unfiltered, etc.

Then there were Raleighs, which were smoked by cheapskates, both cool and uncool. Raleighs, after all, had the coupons.

Archived