College Internship Possibilites and Interview Help

Hemi711

Hello Everyone,

Just had a quick question. On Wednesday I will be interviewing for the "Athletic Marketing & Publications" Internship at St. John's University in Collegeville, MN.

This is my first type of interview of any sort and also along the lines of design. I just had a few questions that some of you could possibly answere for me. I am currently a HS Senior and will be attending SJU next fall. I live 30 minutes from campus and they would want me to start the end of May and start with a 40 hour work week.

What to wear? What not to wear?

Should I bring a portfolio? Just 8.5 x 11 (I have designed a few team posters, but they are 16x24, should I shrink them to fit on the 8.5 x 11?)

You probably don't know much about my design background, but how do you go about selling yourself to them without being overconfident about the situation?

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps !

--Brace

Huskiescoathangnew.gifminnesota-dna.png

This sounds like a great opportunity, and it seems like you're taking it as seriously as you should be. You're already ahead of the game.

I would wear a suit, but if you're a high school senior, I'd imagine you probably don't have one. That's okay. A shirt and a tie thus becomes your second option. And unlike a straight design position, this also includes marketing, which might necessitate you tagging along on sales meetings -- business dress will be the norm. It actually wouldn't hurt for you to own a suit period, so perhaps you should pick one up anyway. For $300-400, you can have something nice and classic, and it won't look cheap. Most suit owners will tell you to choose something charcoal with a traditional cut, but kids being kids normally go for a black and white pinstripe. I prefer a two-button jacket, but three-button with flat front pants is the current (and, if you ask me, on its way out) style. If it seems like I'm belaboring the point on the suit, it's because I like to wear them. And more so than wearing them, I like to buy them. So, yes, a charcoal suit with nice white shirt and a yellow tie is a good option for nearly anything.

If you have a portfolio, bring it. Even if they didn't ask for it, they'll be impressed that you've shown the initiative. Also, bring an extra copy or two of your resume. Again, they'll have it, but they'll like seeing that you're prepared. As far as preparation is concerned, what I always do is write out the questions I think they'll ask me and what I'd most like to say. You'll probably be too nervous to think on the fly (which they also expect), so having done some kind of recitation/mock interviewing is a good idea. Standard questions include: why this job, where you want to be in five years, your career goals, what about the job is most appealing to you, some accomplishment you've had in your previous worklife, etc. And you should always have questions for them. Comb their website and pull out interesting accomplishments. Ask them how they got those. Ask them about challenges they face. It shows you think critically and are willing to help problem solve, if need be.

You asked about confidence: show it. Don't brag. Just be comfortable saying the things you know how to do and don't lie about things you can't. It's simple, but a lot of people screw it up. Make a list of what you're comfortable with going in, and keep to that list. Knowing industry-specific jargon is a good idea, but don't show off.

Again, you being an incoming freshman and wanting to get started right now is a big plus. You're way far ahead of your peers and they'll be jealous that you have real responsibility while all they do is go to class, drink, and :censored:. And that's not to say you shouldn't do those things either. Good luck, but know that some of us here are impressed that you're doing this the right way.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

An uncle of mine coaches people for job interviews of all types, and the biggest tip he gave me is to make sure you say everything you wanted to by the time you leave the interview. I don't know much about the place you're being interviewed for, but sounds like you must be pretty good if you're being considered. So have a list of what's great about you and what you've achieved, and try and work it into the interview, regardless of what questions have been asked. This way you take control of the interview to a certain extent, and know that when you leave, they have the best possible picture of you in their minds. There's nothing worse than remembering something you should have said five minutes after it's finished.

I agree with DG about purchasing a suit. Every guy should have one or two well tailored suits. Black, charcoal grey, or navy are the classic colors that you can never go wrong with. I'd just do a solid black or black pinstripe three-button suit, white shirt, and a red tie. It's conservative, but it conveys confidence and power. On occasion I've even gone for French Cuffs, but you don't really need that at this point. If you want a little style, get a red tie with a paisley pattern on it. Paisley is an in style right now. I like Donald Trump's collection of ties. Here's an example, but obviously in a different color:

9852_2.jpg

Just review everything you think is important before you go in. Do a little background studying of the company as well. The more you know about them the better, and it gives you something else to talk about. Good luck!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• 1 month later...

Definitely agree with the above posts concerning suits (good investment for an 18 year old), taking a portfolio especially if the posters are collegiate, and confidence. You will want to be prepared to convince them that you can do schedule posters, media guide covers, and other game notes type things. Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Just noticed that this thread got back up to the top.

Just to inform you all. I now have this job at SJU. Presently I am working on the Football Season Ticket design, and should hopefully be able to show you a rough draft this week.

After the Tickets, I will be working on the pocket schedules and finally an Identity to our Media Guide/Program covers for our Athletics through this year.

Huskiescoathangnew.gifminnesota-dna.png

I agree with Mack about the black three button suit, but with the shirt and tie, that's your opportunity to show a little more of your personality. White shirt/Red tie is classic, and the "power look," but don't be afraid to add a splash of color with your tie. I'd go white shirt, or primarily white with a stripe, and then pick up one of those stripes with the tie. Just make sure it's not purple or pink or too pastel. You might know who you'll be mainly interviewing with, but you never know who's going to stop by, or who they'll introduce you to, and if you get an old school guy in the mix who shies away from anything "metrosexual" for lack of a better word, it might be a turnoff.

Just noticed that this thread got back up to the top.

Just to inform you all. I now have this job at SJU. Presently I am working on the Football Season Ticket design, and should hopefully be able to show you a rough draft this week.

After the Tickets, I will be working on the pocket schedules and finally an Identity to our Media Guide/Program covers for our Athletics through this year.

Congratulations.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived