Chicago WPS Selects Branding Team

Chicago Women's Professional Soccer has announced that the responsibility for developing a team identity, including designing a logo package for the franchise, will be jointly handled by Denver-based Adrenalin, Inc. and JL Murtaugh's jlmvisual.

Additionally, Adrenalin will also provide strategic branding and marketing assistance to the team as it prepares for its inaugural season, while Murtaugh will serve as the club's in-house art director.

It is expected that the franchise's name and logo will be unveiled during the first week in June.

The club's Name the Team Sweepstakes, meant "to influence, though not make, the team naming decision", is down to just three candidates with a week of voting remaining: Chicago Red Stars (4,446 points in cumulative voting), Chicago 1871 (3,451 points) and Chicago Wind (3,324 points).

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/newsitem_ek...px?team=chicago

• 2 weeks later...

And...it's the Red Stars.

781a41b2-06ee-4377-9b41-b2c770341352.jpg

I'd be fine with this if it weren't for the four stars flanking the big one. It's as if the badge is saying the establishment of a women's pro soccer franchise is on par with the Great Fire or World's Fair in terms of historical significance, and the press release does nothing to spurn such speculation. It even mentions the star in the same terms as the four others on the city flag, and ascribes significance to each of the six points.

If there was just that single star on the badge, I'd be sold, even if the wordmark is a bit "meh." But putting it in the context of the full city flag just presents some issues for me, for whatever reason.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm cool with the design, but the color choice seems off when it comes to the blue. It's not quite Columbia Blue, it's not royal, it's well, meh...

It's apparently the same Pantone value as the Chicago flag, so I can't argue with it if that's the case.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm cool with the design, but the color choice seems off when it comes to the blue. It's not quite Columbia Blue, it's not royal, it's well, meh...

It's apparently the same Pantone value as the Chicago flag, so I can't argue with it if that's the case.

Yeah, and if that's the justification for using it that's fine of course. It probably could've been utilized better, IMHO.

nav-logo.png

Archived