DRAW vs. Illustrator

logodawg

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with CorelDRAW and how it compares to Illustrator.

I once had a car but I crashed it. I once had a guitar but I smashed it. I once, wait where am I going with this?

I use Corel Draw X3 and have used Corel since version 4. I find it much more intuitive than Illustrator. I have yet to encounter any obstacle working with vectors in X3. I would, do, and will always recommend Corel over Illustrator.

I used CorelDraw through to version 9, but then the printers I was sending my stuff to had problems with .cdr files so I switched to Illustrator because exporting .ai from CD9 had some "issues". On the whole, I still preferred CorelDraw. Maybe it was the sudden learning curve I had to overcome in a short span or just a reluctance to change...I don't know. Although, I will admit that Illustrator had a few nice features (at the time) that were not in CorelDraw that sort of made up for it.

Then again, I haven't done print work since I left my last job about 5 years ago now so my opinion may be worthless.

I presume that CorelDraw has some good features in it. I have yet to use it. I have heard good things about it. Actually I think I have a cd with it on it. As far as how it compares to Illustrator, I don't know, but my gut says this is the PSP vs. Photoshop, Mac vs. PC, Chevy vs. Ford comparison. It's a matter of preference and what works BEST for you. If you have the opportunity to try them both out, then go for it and see which one works best for you. I use Illustrator because it's on my computer and it's what we use at school, and presume it's what the graphic industry uses most so I'll stick with Illustrator, but I bet Corel Draw does certain things better than Illustrator and vice versa.

I have been using illustrator for about a year now. I can't compare the two but I found Illustrator really easy to learn. Whenever I run into problems I have always been able to find a simple solution easily and fast.

i've used both for the last 10 or so years. they do similar functions, both have positives that the other may not do as well. the main sell point for me is that with Illy (my preferred app) it's so intergrated into PSD now with active objects (extract vectors from properly built PSDs, w00t!!). Corel will export as *.ai, *.eps, and *.pdf so that gives you the industry-wide formats.

Carolina Dreamin'

ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ ΓΔΒ

When a robotic Nixon is on the loose, we have a duty to take action.

I have been using CorelDraw since it first came out...way back!!! I use both programs but find CorelDraw much easier and quicker to use. I often do my projects in Corel and save them in Adode for the client.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Corel 12 user. I have not used AI, so cannot compare firsthand. However, I have heard that Corel's lens effect tools are something Illustrator cannot match although that could have changed since then. Overall though, I think the capabilities of each are quite similar. The interfaces are really what's different, though, and what a customer might make their choice on.

LT

Archived