Old logos never die

Frylock

I was channel surfing the other day, and landed on a movie channel devoted to western movies and programs.  They flashed their logo, and I swore that I had seen it before.  I think I have...

I have assembled an image of the channel logo, from Starz! Western, regular and flipped horizontally, and the old WHL/CHL/WHA Denver Spurs logo.  Don't these look awfully similar?

spurwest.jpg

Any thoughts?

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

A. I don't know whether anyone even holds the legal rights to the Denver Spurs' logo in order to have standing in court.

B. The logos are similar but probably not similar enough, especially since one of the threshold issues in trademark law is whether the logos in comparison are attempting to promote or endorse similar products, services or ideas - which in this case they are not.

C. It wouldn't surprise me if Denver's logo was "inspired" by another pre-existing boot and spur logo.

D. Who wants to mess with an organization that has The Lone Ranger (weeknights at 6:30 central time - you can ask my father in law) on its side?  Certainly not me, Kemosabe.

Archived