Rockies original black alts

Sodboy13

For how many years were the black alternate jerseys (not the horrendous vests they currently wear) officially part of the Rockies' uniform scheme? I know they didn't see much action on the field - supposedly because Don Baylor thought they were "unlucky" or something.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Yeah, DTTN likes to pretend alts don't exist, post-Okkonen.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Rockies wore their black alts for 3 Sunday home games in early 1993. They lost all 3 (by wide margins), so Baylor thought they were bad luck, and they ditched them. They were really just a bad expansion team ...

The Rockies wore their black alts for 3 Sunday home games in early 1993. They lost all 3 (by wide margins), so Baylor thought they were bad luck, and they ditched them. They were really just a bad expansion team ...

No. It was the jerseys!

Β 

Β 

As I've heard it, the rest of the story is that the entire set (allegedly) went out the back door at some point after the team decided to stop wearing them. I got one on eBay a couple of years ago, and haven't seen one offered for auction since.

As I've heard it, the rest of the story is that the entire set (allegedly) went out the back door at some point after the team decided to stop wearing them. I got one on eBay a couple of years ago, and haven't seen one offered for auction since.

Weirdly enough, I've seen a lot of black alts (and not the mesh BP ones) on eBay as of late. In fact, I've seen more of those than the purple ones I've been looking for. And that's what made me think that, despite them being worn for only three games, they were still officially part of the team's set for quite a while longer - kind of like the Dodgers' blue alt and the A's first black alt.

Are you referring to game worn alts, or just the Russell Authentics? I bought an authentic in 1993 in Denver. I know Russell sold a lot of them in 1992 and 1993, but I'm pretty sure they weren't part of the uniform in 1994. They also changed the roads the second year, changing the wordmark from silver with a purple outline to purple on purple, while replacing the stretchy sleeve stripes with piping to match the fronts. I still see the old 93 roadies popping up on eBay.

Just the authentics - not the gamers.

Archived