Senators throwbacks

Don

has anyone heard of the Nationals wearing Senators throwbacks this year? i was in the Nats team store last night and they had a sharp looking Senators authentic jersey with the rest of the authentics, im wondering if anyone has heard that they were going to wear them this year, the guy in the store was useless. :D

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

The Texas Rangers actually wore these earlier this year, in an absolutely beautiful game against the A's.

afec6944-e3ae-4c62-a545-df9609bd3e60.jpg

Unfortunately, they didn't bring them back out when they played the Nationals.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

has anyone heard of the Nationals wearing Senators throwbacks this year? i was in the Nats team store last night and they had a sharp looking Senators authentic jersey with the rest of the authentics, im wondering if anyone has heard that they were going to wear them this year, the guy in the store was useless. :D

As others have hinted, the Nationals have not worn and do not plan to wear any Senators throwbacks this year. Other than a thowback cap worn once in 2005, the Nats have not yet done any throwbacks to any previous Nationals or Senators team. The Nats do beautiful Grays throwbacks once or twice a year. (Missed opportunity: In June the Nats played a series on the road in Minnesota, the original Senators, and then immediately came home for a series against the Rangers, the expansion Senators. Would have been the perfect time to do Senators-vs-Senators throwbacks on the road and at home in the the same week. Alas. However, Minnesota is scheduled to play in Washington in 2010, so perhaps the Nats will do Senators throwbacks then.)

The Senators jerseys in the team store are, in fact, authentic Rangers throwbacks, and they showed up at the ballpark team store the same week that the jersey I ordered from jersey-joe.com shipped to me. If you want one, and jersey-joe.com has your size, get it from jersey-joe for mucho dinero less than the price at the team store.

20082614447.png

As others have hinted, the Nationals have not worn and do not plan to wear any Senators throwbacks this year. Other than a thowback cap worn once in 2005, the Nats have not yet done any throwbacks to any previous Nationals or Senators team. The Nats do beautiful Grays throwbacks once or twice a year. (Missed opportunity: In June the Nats played a series on the road in Minnesota, the original Senators, and then immediately came home for a series against the Rangers, the expansion Senators. Would have been the perfect time to do Senators-vs-Senators throwbacks on the road and at home in the the same week. Alas. However, Minnesota is scheduled to play in Washington in 2010, so perhaps the Nats will do Senators throwbacks then.)

The Senators jerseys in the team store are, in fact, authentic Rangers throwbacks, and they showed up at the ballpark team store the same week that the jersey I ordered from jersey-joe.com shipped to me. If you want one, and jersey-joe.com has your size, get it from jersey-joe for mucho dinero less than the price at the team store.

thanks for the tips! is the reason they wont wear Senators or Nationals throwbacks because the Rangers own the identity and theyre too cheap to buy it off them (much less pay the taxes on the new park)?

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

thanks for the tips! is the reason they wont wear Senators or Nationals throwbacks because the Rangers own the identity and theyre too cheap to buy it off them (much less pay the taxes on the new park)?

I'm dubious of this theory. It's not like the Nats would have to pay the Rangers one meeeeee-lyun dollars before they can make Senators throwbacks. (And do the Rangers really own any of the pre-1961 Senators identity? I doubt it.) Even assuming any licensing agreement were required, it would be a matter of giving Texas a cut of the revenue. And the thing is, selling a jersey and sending half the profits to Texas would still get the Nats more money than not selling the jersey at all. Which is why the Nats do sell lots of Senators merchandise at the team store.

Combined with the fact that the Nats have done several beautiful Grays throwbacks, but never sold the jerseys to the public except through charity auctions of game-worn items, I think the real answer here is that the Nats as an organization are concerned with building their own brand, and don't want to muddle their identity with Senators throwbacks. The Grays thing fits into the team's effort to build goodwill in the black community, and there are enough Senators fans (where were they all when the Senators actually played in DC and nobody came to the games?) that the team can make good dough selling Senators merch at the team store. So the lack of Senators throwbacks can't be explained by simple cheapness.

Another tip: The team store doesn't have numbers in the style of the old Senators, so if you want your plain Senators throwback jersey numbered, you'll need to have it done custom at Exclusive Pro Sports or somewhere.

20082614447.png

I'm dubious of this theory. It's not like the Nats would have to pay the Rangers one meeeeee-lyun dollars before they can make Senators throwbacks. (And do the Rangers really own any of the pre-1961 Senators identity? I doubt it.) Even assuming any licensing agreement were required, it would be a matter of giving Texas a cut of the revenue. And the thing is, selling a jersey and sending half the profits to Texas would still get the Nats more money than not selling the jersey at all. Which is why the Nats do sell lots of Senators merchandise at the team store.

Combined with the fact that the Nats have done several beautiful Grays throwbacks, but never sold the jerseys to the public except through charity auctions of game-worn items, I think the real answer here is that the Nats as an organization are concerned with building their own brand, and don't want to muddle their identity with Senators throwbacks. The Grays thing fits into the team's effort to build goodwill in the black community, and there are enough Senators fans (where were they all when the Senators actually played in DC and nobody came to the games?) that the team can make good dough selling Senators merch at the team store. So the lack of Senators throwbacks can't be explained by simple cheapness.

Another tip: The team store doesn't have numbers in the style of the old Senators, so if you want your plain Senators throwback jersey numbered, you'll need to have it done custom at Exclusive Pro Sports or somewhere.

thats a very good possibility. considering the history of the Senators outside of Walter Johnson and 1924 isnt very good, theyre prolly just more concerned with building their own identity. theyre kinda stuck with a bad rap, considering the Expos history isnt great and neither is DC baseball's.

Archived