Optimus Thread- Apprentice Challenge 4

Cola

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I like it a lot...the only thing I'm still not a fan of is the orange. The all red and white ones are pure sexiness- but if I'm in the minority about the orange then I can roll with it. I think it is easily better than the actual Beijing logo. Good work everybody and Go Optimus!!!

well remember that orange is just an accent color, which is why we are giving 4 different looks- that shows the client what the logo is capable of looking like and can be adjusted to fit other preferences BUT when a 3rd color is needed- Mandarin Orange is there!

the only thing I am really against and not a fan of was the movement of the Olympic rings...it leaves a bare place that I don't really like. i like them better between the pagoda and wordmark, but I guess we will see what the judges think- it could go either way or not be a big deal at all.

- Alright, the chest will be changed back to the original- just wanted to see if you guys noticed the change and if you liked it.

- As far as the outline on the 08, it is the only way for it to work in a 2 color scheme. I don't really see how it conflicts with the rest of the logo...I think you may be looking a little bit too deep to see that in relation to the logo. If others have issue with it, I can change that too...but for now, I think it can still work. I will try to use 2008 as a whole, but I think it also makes the logo unbalanced unless I shrink the whole wordmark down. I'll try that at least.

- GBM, on your latest logo update- I think it looks nice...but a little too late to take a gamble on a change like that. Basically, the logo now appears unbalanced- and I think balance is important in a Olympic logo especially when it comes to branding or merchandising. If we were to go with it, it almost appears we did it that way from our original just for the sake of being different and adding *possibly* unnecessary flare to it.

Any other suggestions? It is possible that the final presentation will be posted late tonight instead of early in the morning- depending on my personal schedule.

Why can't the outline be filled in?

Anyway, yeah, I agree we just didn't have enough time to develop something like that. Though about the balance, I was thinking kind of along the lines of the Torino logo 2 years back.

Updated the wordmark from beijing08 to beijing 2008. thoughts? i was also thinking that using 08 in some places would be acceptable as well as using 2008 in the same marketing strategy, correct?

I really, really like it that way, and yes I think it would be fine to use 08 in other places.

I like it a lot...the only thing I'm still not a fan of is the orange. The all red and white ones are pure sexiness- but if I'm in the minority about the orange then I can roll with it. I think it is easily better than the actual Beijing logo. Good work everybody and Go Optimus!!!

well remember that orange is just an accent color, which is why we are giving 4 different looks- that shows the client what the logo is capable of looking like and can be adjusted to fit other preferences BUT when a 3rd color is needed- Mandarin Orange is there!

the only thing I am really against and not a fan of was the movement of the Olympic rings...it leaves a bare place that I don't really like. i like them better between the pagoda and wordmark, but I guess we will see what the judges think- it could go either way or not be a big deal at all.

Well I guess we'll just disagree here... I think it's kind of crowded with the rings there and while I'm not in love with the hole left behind, I love the look of the rings underneath, and it follows the past.

2 other things: Which set of turtles are you using? The ones I altered or the ones before that? What characters are on the heads? What are their names? (and where did the names come from... because when you mentioned the chinese word, the names for the turtles didn't come from that word... I'll try to find it in a sec.) EDIT: Here.

Alright, I did a little research and found out that Xuan Wu translates to "black/mysterious thing". Which makes sense because it is one of the mythical animals in Chinese mythology that is to look over a certain part of a Chinese life and bring fortune. I looked further and found that turtle/tortoise simply was translated to "gui". So I added the male/female to it and got "nugui" and nangui". That may not be totally accurate, but I did research it to the best of my ability.
How did you get Nu and Nan from Xuan Wu?

Also, could you just run down/post all we're submitting, the final drafts, just so we can take one last look and check/confirm everything. Not the explanations, just the items.

Nice job everyone. I think we have yet another solid/great package.

I'm on my phone right now so its hard to respond, but-

well the outline with a solid interior looked even worse to me, was choppy looking.

as far as the turtles, gui is the chinese name for turtle. xuan wu or whatver is the actual name of the chinese mythological turtle...it translates to mysterious thing/animal. but it isn't always common saying...esp for just seeing a normal turtle I don't think. nan is male and nu is female. on the hats is bei and jing...beijing together.

I went with you facial changes and eye changes, those made them stand apart a bit.

I won't be able to get online until the morning but will check on here once more. I've pretty much posted everything like it will look except it will say 2008 instead of 08. nothing much else is changed.

I've also typed up everything...we are ready to go. oh and I did a little something extra for the presentation, PM me if you wanna know.

The former "Beijing08" is framed much better than "Beijing 2008," and if you believe the fill doesn't work for the monochromes, then I'd say to go ahead with it. Somehow the outline looks like a thin stroke, as opposed to the pagoda, which resembles large strokes. However, if you don't think it's a big deal, then you have my vote to go ahead with it.

What surprise elements are you rigging? Oh, wait, it wouldn't be a surprise... is it a presentation thing? All logos, etc. are comparable to ones that have already been presented?

For the mascot, I think GBM's changes with the old hats would be best. And besides your surprises, that seems to wrap things up.

I personally prefer the beijing08 look, it just seems to sit better with the logo. Not sure about the Olympic rings, either placement looks good to me, so I guess I'll sit on the fence :D I think the turtles are looking good now and should be a great addition to the presentation.

I won't be online for the final presentation (work again) but I think between everyone we'll have a really professional looking package. So good luck!

Holy hell, Cola, incredible work on the ******. :)

that was my little "surprise" i was withholding until the presentation. thanks! i think we have a really solid package for this challenge- i'm interested to hear the judges speak. B)

If we win this round (or even if we don't), I'm thinking a side message board(through proboards or invisionfree or something) might be ideal for the next challenge. Might be a place to share some of the more "sensitive" information about what we're working on, even if we keep most of the work in these threads.

Sounds like a good idea bruschi, though we'll have to be careful with it as I could imagine the judges being a bit suspicious of it. But considering we could get a head start on the next challenge if we win, we could do with a little secrecy. We could summarise what we were doing and then post it in the official thread at a later date.

And well done on the final presentation, those medals were an amazing touch!

Cola, really nice job on the medals! I feel confident going into the rest of the critiques, whenever they happen. Really nice job this time aroun

Provided I make it to the next round, so if I do, I'd like to be PM for the next challenge. I don't know what will happen here but we are winning 3-0 so far, or so one would think. Is there anyone who would object to this?

GBM and lets_go_red are first-time eligible, and as it is the fourth challenge since he last did it, William would be eligible again as well.

So knowing that, and I think everyone should have a go at Task Manager if they are willing, I will give the nod also to GBM.

Archived