Las Vegas PCL Baseball Name Change

Oso

Now that they've made their affiliation decision, switching from the Dodgers to Toronto, the name change issue is up on the agenda.

I thought the name Aces would have been perfect for the Vegas team but they were beaten to the punch. Any chance they go back to the name Stars? Or do they move in a different direction altogether?

Texas.gif

Now that they've made their affiliation decision, switching from the Dodgers to Toronto, the name change issue is up on the agenda.

I thought the name Aces would have been perfect for the Vegas team but they were beaten to the punch. Any chance they go back to the name Stars? Or do they move in a different direction altogether?

Odds are it will be in a different direction. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a bird theme with the Jays affiliation.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Las Vegas 51's is staying for at least another year and most likely through the contract with the Toronto Blue Jays which is 2 years. After that if we don't get a new stadium the franchise is likely to move.

Not gonna happen, Padres wanted a new stadium and left bc the city council wouldn't approve it

Dodgers wanted a new stadium and left bc Mayor Goodman didn't want a minor league stadium (or any arena/stadium) built with taxpayers money especially if it wasn't for a major league team

If there's anything that Don Logan has done it's that he's made sure that Las Vegas has a team and unless the MLBPA or Selig steps in (which the probably won't) LV will still have a team no matter what bc some team will need a AAA affiliate if that means two-years per affiliate that's the way it will be (look at the deal with Toronto)

Another reason why the soon-to-be (hopefully next year) renamed Las Vegas franchise will stay is unlike Ottawa, Tucson, Richmond, there is fan support for the team in 26 years they've never had less than 300,000 attendants per year, if that's paid attendance who cares it's still money that is circulating through the organization and that's all that matters

See unlike other AAA cities, there is a really strong front office staff that is determined to keep the team in the area (a move to Henderson has been rumored for years). With the sale from a local group (Hank Stickney) to a national group (Mandalay Baseball) and back to a local group (Stevens Baseball Group) I just don't see the team leaving.

Sorry for my rambling, but I've been kicking around the idea of Thunderbirds as the name in reference to the USAFA Thunderbirds that are stationed at Nellis AFB and to the Moapa Band of Paiute Native Americans that called the area home. I just hope that there will be no cop out and go with a gambling theme, LV pro teams have (with the exceptions of the city's Aussie Rules and Rugby clubs) NEVER used a gambling reference for the team's identity

HumanitarianBowl.png

Archived