New Orleans Saints Uniform Questions

bigdub81

I'm working on a uniform history just for the Saints and I needed to know a few things that I can't get off of their website. Any help would be appreciated!

Q: What was the exact year that the team started using metallic gold instead of the original 'mustard' gold used during their inception. I have pics of Billy Kilmer wearing a the '69 unis in both colors, just didn't know exactly when they switched.

Q: Who made the teams uniform year by year? I know Puma did them and Reebok does them now but who did them before? Specifically I just want to know when did manufacturers start putting their logos on the jersey sleeves? And if so did they put the logo on the pants as well or is that something that Reebok has done since they gained rights to the league?

Q: What year did the team switch from using rounded collars to v-necks?

Once again any help would be greatful!!!!

Thanks

Sand Knit took over for the Saints in the 80s, and Champion made the Saints' jerseys from 1991-1996. 1996 was also when the Saints switched to sewn-on numbers. Reebok took over in 1997. Puma then took over for Reebok in 1999 and 2000, and back to Reebok with the league-wide switch in '01.

Russell 1970s

Sand Knit 80s-1991

Champion 1991-96

Reebok 1997-98

Puma 1999-2000

Reebok 2001-

The Louisiana logo was added to the sleeve and pants in 1986, which may have coincided with the Saints' switch from Russell to Champion. Both sleeve and pants logos were switched to the fleur-de-lis in 1996.

As far as manufacturers' sleeve logos go, the first I see for the Saints is in 1994, where the Champion C logo appears on the sleeves. I'm not sure about other teams, but I do know the Wilson W was on the 49ers' sleeves as early as 1990.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

I certainly don't have all of the answers in terms of the Saints' colors, and I would welcome any input and/or corrections as to what I will present here:

Here's what I know: Prior to 1980, all NFL teams used custom colors to represent their colors. Not Pantones. So, when Pantones were eventually implemented, some of the colors changed slightly.

The original "mustardy" Old Gold was actually a metallic color as well. As far as I can tell. The current Saints throwback uniforms use a "blended" Pantone Metallic color to represent it. I too would like to know how long this color was in place:

NewOrleansSaintsGold_1979_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Certainly, by the mid-'70s and through 1989, the Saints' Old Gold was this:

NewOrleansSaintsGold_1989_SOL_SRGB.jpg

However, from 1990 through 2001, the Saints changed to a slightly lighter Old Gold (I prefer this Gold myself):

NewOrleansSaintsGold_2001_SOL_SRGB.jpg

And then in 2002, the Old Gold it was changed back to the previous shade:

NewOrleansSaintsGold_9999_SOL_SRGB.jpg

Remember, we're talking about the print version of the Saints' Old Gold; the fabrics - as we all know - are all over the map.

Thanks the49erfan15 and ColorWerx. From looking at pictures it seems that when Reebok had the uni's in '97 they didn't have the rectangle around their logo as they do now. It was just the plain Reebok symbol on the sleeve but I don't know when they started adding it to the pants. I remember the Saints having Champion jerseys but I don't think Champion, Puma or any of the others putting their company logo on the pants until Reebok took over the league full time in '01. Thank's again for the info, I can make the adjustments to my designs which I'll post later I'm almost finished.

I'll add to this by saying that yes Champion did display their logo on the sleeve above the state logo. Going back to my illustrations that I did back in the early 90's, I have them displaying the Champion logo starting in 1993. If people are curious I'll list who was with who that year.

Champion - Cincinnati, Buffalo, New Orleans, NY Jets, and Chicago.

Russell - Arizona, Philadelphia, Tampa, LA Rams, Atlanta, Minnesota, Houston, San Diego, and Cleveland.

Wilson - Denver, Kansas City, Seattle, Indy, Miami, San Francisco, and Detroit.

Starter - Washington, Green Bay, Pittsburgh, and Oakland.

Apex - New England, Dallas, NY Giants.

Good to find out exactly what year they used the company logo on the sleeve I'll make the adjustments. Anybody know what year they went to the v-neck? And when did Reebok start putting that outline around their logo? I'm guessing it happened in 2001 when they gained the rights back to the league! Also, did Champion, Puma, Reebok put their logo on the pants prior to Reebok doing it now? And when did Reebok start putting their logo on the pants?

Good to find out exactly what year they used the company logo on the sleeve I'll make the adjustments. Anybody know what year they went to the v-neck? And when did Reebok start putting that outline around their logo? I'm guessing it happened in 2001 when they gained the rights back to the league! Also, did Champion, Puma, Reebok put their logo on the pants prior to Reebok doing it now? And when did Reebok start putting their logo on the pants?

Getty Images is your friend, man. I knew a good bit of the info I posted, but the rest I looked up on Getty.

Just go, search "19XX new orleans saints" and look at the uniforms. You should have no trouble getting any of that information from the pictures.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived