New State of Alabama license plates

footballfiji

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is, but they're in the process of ruining it.

Apparently, the new breed of Minnesota plates have stick-on lettering, rather than imprinted. And worse yet--it's black, instead of the previous blue.

A small change that really ruins it.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

It is, but they're in the process of ruining it.

Apparently, the new breed of Minnesota plates have stick-on lettering, rather than imprinted. And worse yet--it's black, instead of the previous blue.

A small change that really ruins it.

Yes, exactly. The Minnesota license plate is slowly and painfully becoming worse and worse. It is very sad... :cry:

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

It ain't got much of one, but it's there regardless--as residents of Foley, Orange Beach, Lillian, and Dauphin Island can attest to.

This thing just don't say "Alabama" to me...no, not at all. Alamaba the Beautiful, they call it...and this plate represents about 5% of the state's scenery, IMO. Good thinking on the cattail plants, though...the roots of those things, when boiled, make a quite tasty meal along with crushed wintergreen leaves and fresh-speared fish.

(Okay now I'm starting to give too much of myself away here...)

That's just it though...no one thinks about the beach whenever they think of Alabama- which is why I think this plate design doesn't work at all. When I think of Alabama, I think of a HUGE space of undeveloped land and college football...and Birmingham...which makes me think "crime".

If "what people think of..." was the criteria for plate designs, then everywhere down south not named Florida would have some fat guy in a rebel flag shirt sippin' SoCo and feeling up his sister during a NASCAR race.

I suppose so...but I wasn't really just talking in stereotypical terms- I was being honest. Don't get me wrong, I totally know beaches exist in Alabama (Orange Beach is kickass and has the Floribama, one of the most awesome bars I've ever been to) because my mom lives in Pensacola...

STOP RIGHT THERE.

What part of Pensacola she stay in mayn? What ZIP code? You know...gotta ask. You know that's my city, right?

And whatchu know about the Flora-Bama, man? ^_^ Not that it's exactly my type of establishment, but I done been there a few times--even done the whole mullet toss thing (damn near won it one time). For those not familiar, the bar we're referring to here sits perfectly on the Florida/Alabama state line--well, the westermost tip of the Florida state line, that is. There's a reason Pensacola is known as the "western gate to the Sunshine State"...

She lives right off Davis Hwy...about a mile or two from the hospital on that highway. Yeah, the Flora-bama isn't somewhere I would go every weekend if I lived in Pensacola...but if you enjoy live music, a chance for a wild and crazy time, and watching other people get as hammered as you are- it is a blast. Let me tell you, I do a lot of drinking (at least I used to, in my recent college days that have passed me) and still have a pretty high tolerance and I won't forget the first time I went to the Flora-bama. We got there about 8pm which I thought was quite early (usually go out around 10 or so)...and the inside part under the circus tent was slammed pack and that crazy woman was singing (I think she is a lesbian, if you know who I am talking about- not that it matters, but she has been playing every time I've went) while everyone was partying. Most people seemed like they were having fun, but sober for the most part.

Not 20 minutes later, I walk back in from outside and there are people going NUTS drunk as hell...standing on all the tables...people falling around...women taking bras off...a bridal party throwing a dildo around...and I was like "wtf, what kind of SHOT did these people just take!?!" haha

anyways, good times.

West Florida Regional is the hospital you speak of...which would mean she's up in the Ferry Pass area. Nice! (although I have absolutely NO reason to be that far up Davis Hwy unless I'm passing by on my way to UWF...I come from Montclair, if you know about that.)

Yeah crazy thangs can happen at the Flora-Bama. Alcohol and a bunch of lunatics who really just don't give a f*** can combine to make quite the interesting scene. Ah...memories of that place...

Amen to that. I've been down to Orange Beach ever since 2003 every march. Great times down there. love everything about it. FloraBama, LuLu's, golf, gulf. great times. I Stayed in Adrmirals Quarters down there for the first couple years and that last 2 i was in the Caribe. it is just a wonderful place down there.

What I'd like to understand is what the hell the "Stars fell on..." phrase on the current AL plate is supposed to mean. :wacko:

"Stars Fell on Alabama" is a pretty classic song, written in 1934 and covered since by a bunch of artists. Billie Holliday, IMHO, did

I truly appreciate the explanation. Had no idea. Guess I should have Googled it. Who knew? The phrase "Stars fell on Alabama" always conjured up this, not a song:

meteor_impact_2003.gif

:D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Before seeing this, I forgot that Alabama had a coastline. In fact, Alabama does a pretty good job of using its state paraphernalia to hip the unfamiliar to things they wouldn't otherwise know about.

Same here. At first, I was like "what does the coast have to do with Alab..." then I suddenly remembered my US map mental image and remembered Alabama has that little "prong" of land bordering into the coast. Definitely a nice plate, but I've just gotten so used to the old one it'll take awhile to readjust.

Archived