New State of Alabama license plates

footballfiji

Story

New.

large_StateTag.jpg

Old.

SA-AL-2002ND.jpg

A couple of things:

1. The above design isn't quite accurate, the "Sweet Home" will be all one word and not "Sweet. Home." as listed above.

2. The "Heart of Dixie" is a requirement for all Alabama license plates; including specialty plates (with a few exceptions). It has been present on all "General Issue" plates since the 1950s.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. The "Heart of Dixie" is a requirement for all Alabama license plates; including specialty plates (with a few exceptions). It has been present on all "General Issue" plates since the 1950s.

Just like Ontario's King George Crown.

I like using the "Sweet Home Alabama" slogan, but I'm not sure I'm a fan of the design of this one... the colours seem too pastel to be a standard issue license plate. Will have to wait and see it on the road but making my final opinion.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Before seeing this, I forgot that Alabama had a coastline. In fact, Alabama does a pretty good job of using its state paraphernalia to hip the unfamiliar to things they wouldn't otherwise know about.

Before seeing this, I forgot that Alabama had a coastline. In fact, Alabama does a pretty good job of using its state paraphernalia to hip the unfamiliar to things they wouldn't otherwise know about.

It ain't got much of one, but it's there regardless--as residents of Foley, Orange Beach, Lillian, and Dauphin Island can attest to.

This thing just don't say "Alabama" to me...no, not at all. Alamaba the Beautiful, they call it...and this plate represents about 5% of the state's scenery, IMO. Good thinking on the cattail plants, though...the roots of those things, when boiled, make a quite tasty meal along with crushed wintergreen leaves and fresh-speared fish.

(Okay now I'm starting to give too much of myself away here...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

That's just it though...no one thinks about the beach whenever they think of Alabama- which is why I think this plate design doesn't work at all. When I think of Alabama, I think of a HUGE space of undeveloped land and college football...and Birmingham...which makes me think "crime". Anyhow, South Carolina changed as well:

OLD:

SC00_694HLC.jpg

NEW:

new%20plate%202008.jpg

BUT, this plate is still also optional for no extra fee in South Carolina:

sc04.jpg

That's just it though...no one thinks about the beach whenever they think of Alabama- which is why I think this plate design doesn't work at all. When I think of Alabama, I think of a HUGE space of undeveloped land and college football...and Birmingham...which makes me think "crime". Anyhow, South Carolina changed as well:

OLD:

SC00_694HLC.jpg

NEW:

new%20plate%202008.jpg

BUT, this plate is still also optional for no extra fee in South Carolina:

sc04.jpg

Indiana has the same "In God We Trust" plates and in fact changed their regular plates to look more like the God ones.

Crazy.

Love the new Alabama plates. Using "Sweet Home Alabama" as the slogan is a stroke of genius that was, IMO, long overdue.

The SC plates are nice as well...just wish CT could come up with something as creative.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

^^^

Uh... post of the day?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

It ain't got much of one, but it's there regardless--as residents of Foley, Orange Beach, Lillian, and Dauphin Island can attest to.

This thing just don't say "Alabama" to me...no, not at all. Alamaba the Beautiful, they call it...and this plate represents about 5% of the state's scenery, IMO. Good thinking on the cattail plants, though...the roots of those things, when boiled, make a quite tasty meal along with crushed wintergreen leaves and fresh-speared fish.

That's just it though...no one thinks about the beach whenever they think of Alabama- which is why I think this plate design doesn't work at all. When I think of Alabama, I think of a HUGE space of undeveloped land and college football...and Birmingham...which makes me think "crime".

If "what people think of..." was the criteria for plate designs, then everywhere down south not named Florida would have some fat guy in a rebel flag shirt sippin' SoCo and feeling up his sister during a NASCAR race. I've been pretty outspoken about my distaste for how everything that says "Wisconsin" just HAS to relate to the dairy industry :rolleyes:

License plates (and state quarters and postage stamps) should show the things about their state that would make someone want to visit there. For someone in the mid-south who can't afford to go to Hilton Head or Florida, seeing this plate might make them inquire about going to Bama.

That's just it though...no one thinks about the beach whenever they think of Alabama- which is why I think this plate design doesn't work at all. When I think of Alabama, I think of a HUGE space of undeveloped land and college football...and Birmingham...which makes me think "crime".

If "what people think of..." was the criteria for plate designs, then everywhere down south not named Florida would have some fat guy in a rebel flag shirt sippin' SoCo and feeling up his sister during a NASCAR race.

I suppose so...but I wasn't really just talking in stereotypical terms- I was being honest. Don't get me wrong, I totally know beaches exist in Alabama (Orange Beach is kickass and has the Floribama, one of the most awesome bars I've ever been to) because my mom lives in Pensacola and, unfortunately, I have to ride a long while through Alabama to get there from SC. I guess I just feel like Alabama is a pretty unappealing state overall and my honestly came out. I do agree though, they should try and use the plate as a marketing tool and sway any visitors they can to the state.

Archived