Marathons

Alphabet Man

Yesterday I ran my first marathon and thought I'd share my experience.

It was tough conditions, 24 degrees for most of the race and 37km/hr headwinds for the second half of the race, but I got there in a respectable time of 3:48:43. The highlight was definately running onto and finishing on the MCG.

Anyway, my report is here: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=30199192005

I encourage everyone to give it a crack too one day.

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Yesterday I ran my first marathon and thought I'd share my experience.

It was tough conditions, 24 degrees for most of the race and 37km/hr headwinds for the second half of the race, but I got there in a respectable time of 3:48:43. The highlight was definately running onto and finishing on the MCG.

Anyway, my report is here: http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=30199192005

I encourage everyone to give it a crack too one day.

Congrats, though that's mighty cold to be running a marathon in.

LvZYtbZ.png

Quite an accomplishment there. I ran during my high school days, and did a couple of half-marathons, but never a full one. I certainly can't imagine running one now.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Thanks but ah 24degrees celsuis. That hot to be running in, especially seeing I've been running all winter in sub 15degrees.

My brother is a runner, mostly half-marathons, has only run full one marathon. He told me that anywhere between 10-15 Celsius and overcast is the ideal weather conditions in which to run. You lose more energy and water at higher temperatures and it can't be too cold to keep your muscles loose.

I saw, I came, I left.

I honestly don't remember. But I'm know I wasn't doing better then seven minute miles, so that puts me over an hour and a half.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

Pretty much your brother is right, Dead. Would rather it cold. But you can't control the weather, youve just got to adapt to it.

Apparently the 1980 Melbourne Marathon was run in 30 degree heat at 8am in the morning so thats incredible.

A few people I've spoken to say that this will be one of the toughest marathons you'll ever run (conditions-wise)

I'm not sure what 7min/mi translates to our measurements but thats about 4:40min per km off the top of my head. That still decent. I mean my PB for the half is 1:44:41 (1:43:26 if i can count yesterdays half split).

They say it takes 7 years to reach your prime. So I got 6 and a quarter years to go!

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

3:48 for your FIRST marathon? I think you may be a prodigy.

I'm gonna try to do the Lakefront (Milwaukee) Marathon next year. I was a pretty good runner in high school, but I refused to go out for track because of who my mother is (the Wisconsin state record holder in the girl's mile... which had since been replaced by the 1600m and would've been my event) and didn't want to deal with the scrutiny that would come with the territory. Now I regret that decision because I probably could've finagled a D1 scholarship out of the deal. But I figure that I can at least get myself into shape to do just ONE marathon.

Speaking of moms, she's now a vet of 67 marathons and qualified for the Olympic trials back in '96.

Archived