Express

oldschoolvikings

Saw it only because it is a period football film. The uniforms are top notch. I was particularly impressed with how well they replicated West Virginia's eccentric jerseys. The only flaw (other than the gross historical inaccuracies about the 1960 Cotton Bowl) was that the Texas jerseys were burnt orange. At that time, Texas was still sporting the brighter shade of "Texas Orange." The whole look of the period is really well done. The Helmet Hut, which does football helmet reproductions did the hats.

And yes, when it comes to football unis, I am an incredible nerd.

FsQiF2W.png

I saw it and the uniforms were pretty spot on. Only problem was that they referred to them as the Orangemen, even though they were the Saltine Warriors until (I believe) the mid-70's.

I also caught a bad edit. After Texas scores its first TD in the Cotton Bowl you'll notice a Boston College player instead of a Texas player for a split second.

They filmed scenes at Wrigley Field. From what I could tell, the uni's looked accurate. My girlfriend and I got to be extras in the stands, but no cameras were allowed - how bad would that have been if we were dressed up accurately yet sporting the Sony digital camera!

If you watch the commercial knowing that one of the scenes is at Wrigley Field, you will recognize it, particularly the roof and lights.

PS - you'd better enjoy the movie - our street parking was all screwed up for a week for the filming!

Rob

In the commercials they show a team wearing sky blue monos... is that North Carolina or Columbia? Or neither?

Kansas Jayhawks.

I forgot to mention that what must be a digital recreation of old Archbold Stadium and its great arch was really good as well. Old Syracuse fans will be pleased, I think.

FsQiF2W.png

Saw it only because it is a period football film. The uniforms are top notch. I was particularly impressed with how well they replicated West Virginia's eccentric jerseys. The only flaw (other than the gross historical inaccuracies about the 1960 Cotton Bowl) was that the Texas jerseys were burnt orange. At that time, Texas was still sporting the brighter shade of "Texas Orange." The whole look of the period is really well done. The Helmet Hut, which does football helmet reproductions did the hats.

And yes, when it comes to football unis, I am an incredible nerd.

There's a good article about the helmets on Helmet Hut's site - for the close-ups they used real Riddell TK suspension helmet reproductions for the key players. For the "game action" sequences they took modern Riddell VSR-4 helmets (for the safety of the actors) and made them look like TK suspension helmets by removing the front sweatband, the rear bumper, and putting on artificial suspension rivets. They filled any unused mounting holes and used period-correct facemasks as well.

The full article is here: http://www.helmethut.com/College/Syracuse/The%20Express.html

I saw it and the uniforms were pretty spot on. Only problem was that they referred to them as the Orangemen, even though they were the Saltine Warriors until (I believe) the mid-70's.

The Saltine warrior was just a mascot. They have pretty much been the Orangemen all along.

From SUAthletics.com

The Syracuse Orange

In June 1872, Syracuse adopted rose pink and pea green as the official colors of the University and its athletic teams. The colors were changed the next year to rose tint and azure, later becoming pink and blue.

After a football field meet at nearby Hamilton College in 1889 which Syracuse won, derisive comments about the victors’ colors led the SU student body to the conclusion that yet another change should be made.

A committee made up of students and faculty members discovered that orange had not been adopted by any college or university as a single color. In 1890 the Alumni Association rendered a unanimous decision and orange has been the sole official color of Syracuse University since that year.

Men’s varsity teams soon became known as the Orange or Orangemen. When women began competing in varsity sports in 1971, they selected the nickname Orangewomen. In 2004, the University made the decision to have all teams, men and women, referred to as the Syracuse Orange, to reflect the original nickname of SU's teams.

Archived