Bluefield Orioles

Discrim

Bluefield's Bowen Field is often the starting point on the road to Camden Yards. Has been since 1958, in fact. Oriole legends from Boog Powell to Cal Ripken Jr. have cut their teeth with the club affecionately known as the Baby Birds...and now I've created a concept for them. Without further ado, here go the home and away:

bluefielduniform1.png

I liked the short-lived vests Baltimore wore in the 70s, and wanted to see how it'd look raglan style. Seeing as they represent the two Bluefields (WV and VA), the road uniform is a bluish gray. And the 70s/80s Orioles script adorns the home jersey simply because I prefer it to the current big league script. The main course here, however, is the main logo: since they're informally called the Baby Birds, I figured a baby oriole would be a good idea. Yeah, I know the majority of birds aren't fully feathered when they hatch, and none of em wear gloves or bibs, but I think it conveys my intended messsage clearly. I flirted with using the B from my Bluefield wordmark as the cap logo before deciding to go with the baby bird head (the mimicry of the classic 70s-80s cap was also a late decision). the markings on the egg are loosely based on similar markings found on oriole eggs, in case you were wondering.

and now the alternate and BP:

bluefielduniform2.png

you may be wondering why the alt is blue when the O's have never worn the color. Again, this ties into the towns' name. Admittedly, this would make absolutely no sense if this were for Baltimore, but there is a method to my madness. And finally, the BP is...well, a plain black BP.

merry christmas, and have at it. :santa:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

What are the squiggles on the egg?
the markings on the egg are loosely based on similar markings found on oriole eggs, in case you were wondering.

oriole_eggs_Ratermann.jpg

as for the particular way in which I arranged the most notable markings, it should look somewhat familiar.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

What are the squiggles on the egg?
the markings on the egg are loosely based on similar markings found on oriole eggs, in case you were wondering.

oriole_eggs_Ratermann.jpg

as for the particular way in which I arranged the most notable markings, it should look somewhat familiar.

Wow, reading really is fundamental. Sorry about that.

Untitled-1-1.gif

Sig by TalktoChuck

Not a bad concept. Although I'm not sure about the blue alternate. I like the look pf the vests and the bibbed oriole chick. And by the way they are called the baby birds. I spent some time in Bluefield back in 1994. I was the athletic trainer for their rival in Princeton, WV when they were a Reds farm team (they are now a Rays affiliate). They beat us for the Mercer Cup but we had the last laugh when we won the Appalachian League title in '94.

roqymbou.pngfx32axau.png

Archived