Old-school kids football helmet

no97

So, I went to a church rummage sale with my wife this morning (strange to have one of these on a Tuesday morning), and we made off with a ton of stuff for $3. Capote on DVD, about five items (t-shirts and pants) for my eight-year old daughter, a trinket for my wife (a kleenex box) and my prize - a 1950's looking kids football helmet.

So, it looks like it was origionally red, adn painted white, as some of the paint is cracking to reveal the red under. Overall, it's in great condition, the padding is all intact, the plastic facemask is perfect, and I just had to buy it. The funny story was that it didn't have a price on it, and I was prepared to pay, like $5 for it. The lady sifted through all our stuff, and announced the total - $3. I was going to put the helmet back if it was too expensive, but $3 for everything?!?! Basically, I paid, at most 50 cents for it! What a deal.

Anyway, here's the photos (updated with new - better photos):

DSCF3616.jpg

DSCF3617.jpg

DSCF3618.jpg

DSCF3619.jpg

helmet4.jpg

So, can anyone make out the manufacture in that tag in the back (or know who made it)? Anyone know what year these would have been made? Also looking for sugestions - I'm fine with displaying it as is, but have an idea in my head to make it into a Bears helmet - you know, sand it down, paint it dark navy and put on white wishbone "C's" (or another throwback).

Thanks for the input.

Moose

I have one just like it but it has the TEXAS Longhorns logos and #50 on the back -

I also have my 1975 football helmet with the gray facemask & Johnny Unitas style helmet, no ear bumps.

I'll take pix of them and post them later - very cool helmet.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Looks to me like the numbers on the white helmet front were a red "4" and "2". Although, I'm not sure who 42 would be that would be an homage too - maybe a famous running back, or defensive back? I think that's the bigger mystery here - who was number 42? :blink::D

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

While putting the cross on is an option, putting it on my head and doing anything is not... This is a kids helmet in every sense of the word - I didn't even try to put it on my head, and it doesn't fit my 8 year old daughter (who does have a large head for her size - she wears a size M in those Twins Enterprise caps)!

That said, the more I look at it, I like the wear it has - it's got character... I'm leaning towards leaving it as is.

Moose

Archived