NHL's Hamilton Flying Tigers

sparkychewbarky

With all due respect to the historic AVG Flying Tigers of the 1940's, and to the Lakeland Flying Tigers...

I'm submitting that the perfect name for Hamilton's potential NHL franchise would be the "Flying Tigers". Of course, it's in reference to Hamilton's original "Tigers" NHL team of the 1920's. It also acknowledges Hamilton's rich aviation history and the fact that Hamilton is home to the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum. The addition of the word "flying" sets it a little further apart from the "Tiger-Cats" (Hamilton's CFL team), and adds aviation elements to the Tiger theme.

I've done up some logos that can be mixed and matched.

Again, in respect of the original Flying Tigers, I've stayed away from any "winged tiger" visuals...

ftlogos.jpg

I tweaked the original "H" logo of the 1920 Tigers to give it "wings".

I stayed pretty traditional with the uniforms.

I was impressed with Discrimihater's use of "charcoal"(?) in his Steelers concepts, and thought that the use of his colour combo would help set this concept apart from the Boston Bruins.

fthome.jpg

ftaway.jpg

ft3rd.jpg

It's a start, and I'm working on some more alternative uniforms.

Any suggestions?

I'll admit, I kinda like this. I like where it is going and what potential it has.

The tiger logo looks a little anime-ish, if you know what I mean, like its leaning too much towards an asian action cartoon tiger. But I think if you fiercen it up a little bit, make him look more angry, it will be an incredible logo.

The modernization of the 1920's "H" is perfect. No flaws there. Perhaps make an alternative version making the "H" black, with a gold outline and have "Flying Tigers" in gold.

For the white uniform, I think just use the tiger by itself and without the "H" under it. I think thats the only change that needs to be done on the white.

The last two, in my opinion are great as they are, especially your alternate. Great job on them.

Overall, fantastic work. Keep it up!

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

I think that the winged "H" logo should be used on both the white and black uniforms, while the "H" works on the alternate. The Tiger logo looks good; I just don't know exactly where to put it. Maybe as a shoulder patch? As a display logo? I, too, think he looks a little anime-ish, which doesn't sit well with me, but only a few tweaks would make him look better.

Excellent work here. The tiger might be a little too cartoony for the NHL but what the heck, Anaheim had a cartoon duck breaking through the ice. Use the flying H as the primary and the tiger as a shoulder patch/alternate and you're on a gravy train with biscuit wheels.

Stupendous execution!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

That third jersey already looks like a classic, I think I'm in love with it, even more with the black helmet. Just one thing is the socks match the sleeves on 2 out of the 3 of the jerseys, did you feel the white jersey just needed more colour? I also would echo the other comments of the flying H working as the primary on the white, maybe that way you could have a consistent should patch on those 2 jerseys, whether its the H or the flying H.

That third jersey already looks like a classic, I think I'm in love with it, even more with the black helmet. Just one thing is the socks match the sleeves on 2 out of the 3 of the jerseys, did you feel the white jersey just needed more colour? I also would echo the other comments of the flying H working as the primary on the white, maybe that way you could have a consistent should patch on those 2 jerseys, whether its the H or the flying H.

afarough...Good question. I guess I was doing the Detroit Red Wing thing, where the sleeves on the home and away sweaters are identical from the shoulder down. While the sleeves on the away shirts remain dark (red), the socks are white. I heard a theory that it's just as important for the socks to be as contrasting as the sweaters are between opposing teams. It apparently makes the linesmen's jobs easier when watching for offsides. Maybe that's why you don't see dark socks with white sweaters.

Also...I just like white socks.

Thanks to mantle, DD, undead, and afarough for your response. I acted on your suggestions.

fthome-1.jpg

ftaway-1.jpg

I made the tiger a little more fierce and put him in a different stance to "square" him off a bit.

He works better now alone or with the winged roundel.

fttiger.jpg

fttiger2.jpg

I used him on the retro sweater as a shoulder patch and on the front of a potential kid's jersey.

ftretro.jpg

ftalt.jpg

wow,, you make a lot of references to other teams in the NHL with this concept. I thought about the H as an homage to the Hartford Whalers. Is there a way to incorporate a jet? As in Winnipeg Jets? Or a "Baron" as in Cleveland Barons...catch my drift? I think it would be a great idea to pay respects to teams that have left the league in the identity of a new team just entering.

This is the University of Missouri Ice Tigers. What do the Princeton hockey jerseys look like? You might get some ideas from those two teams.

My only criticism is the large number of Black and Yellow teams in the league. I like Flying Tigers too though. You know the Lakeland Fighting Tigers minor league baseball team's colors are navy and only a little bit of orange. That's one idea. I'd like to move the Islanders to Hamilton and keep the old Islander colors...

Archived