Billy B's NCAA Hockey Concepts

Billy B

TEAMS UNVEILED SO FAR:

Minnesota Golden Gophers

Penn State Nittany Lions

I started this project a while back and did a couple, but now that I'm out of school, I picked it up again and have done a lot more. I'm taking teams by their normal conferences (not hockey conference) and designing jerseys for what I would do with a hockey team. All of these are going to be on the Edge template, even if they're a Nike school. I'd like C&C on all of these so I can improve them.

I'm starting off with the Big Ten and the Minnesota Golden Gophers are the first team. I decided to use the skating gopher as the main crest on these. i really like the logo and think it looks good on the jersey. The M logo goes on the sleeves which have kind of a modern design, but are still pretty traditional.

MinnesotaRed.png

MinnesotaWhite1.png

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

First off, Gophers are in the WCHA not the Big Ten. Secondly, I would use the M on the front instead of the Gopher. The M looks very good on a hockey jersey, and the Gopher is a little too detailed for my taste. Thirdly, the design isn't anything special. It is just really a recoloring from a different template (I am blanking on which team), and it isn't quite as good as what they have now. I would switch the maroon and gold on the away jersey so that the maroon is the dominant colors.

Twins.pngGoldenGophers.png

^I believe its the Florida Panthers template but the stripes on the panthers stop at the shoulder stripe. There is no Big Ten for college hockey either. There is Atlantic Hockey, CCHA, CHA, ECAC, Hockey East, and WCHA.

detsig.png

So everybody knows, I know that there is no Big Ten for hockey. I said in the first post that I would be doing the concepts by the team's main conferences (Big Ten, SEC, ACC, etc.) As for the template, I started off with the Panthers template, but my concept isn't simply a fill-in-the lines.

I'd like to get a few more concepts before I unveil the next school (probably Penn State.)

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

So wait...you're doing fictional hockey concepts for Big Ten colleges, when five of the schools (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State) already HAVE hockey teams? I'm confused. I can see how doing this for southern and western schools would be interesting, but not so much the northern conferences.

Having said that, I never understood the appeal of that particular skating Goldy. This one captures the spirit of Gopher hockey better, in my opinion:

15846.jpg

Personally, I'd stick with either the "M" or a wordmark, but that's just me.

The home jersey looks good, but I have a feeling the away jersey would look a tad washed out on the ice. You should make the striping maroon rather than yellow in order to prevent the washed out look.

So wait...you're doing fictional hockey concepts for Big Ten colleges, when five of the schools (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State) already HAVE hockey teams?

At least Illinois, Indiana, and Iowa have hockey teams at the club level as well:

2009_01_24_04.jpg

2009_01_30_03.jpg

Indiana look fantastic. Iowa less so. Illinois... well, it's a shame that the Chief is no longer considered an approved symbol, because I think he'd look great on a hockey sweater...

I've got an update on the Minnesota away jersey with maroon sleeves. I liked the gold, but these look good too I think.

I'll post Penn State (who I also think has a club team) later today unless someone else has a request they want to see first.

MinnesotaWhite1.png

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Next up I have the Penn State Nittany Lions. I based the striping pattern of the side panels on the basketball uniforms. Besides outlining on the striping, I kept it simple with only blue and white. The primary lion logo is on the crest and that's about it. Leave some C&C, I'll probably show Northwestern next, but if anyone has requests I can show those.

PennStateBlue.png

PennStateWhite.png

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived