Pete Rose nearing reinstatement?

Waffles

I've come into this late, on page three, but I've always said that if Pete admits to betting on baseball and appologizes to the fans and the game, then lift the ban and put him in the Hall the next year he can go in. It will never happen, because Pete's so prideful, so to me it's a moot point. It's the conditions that were laid out from the beginning, and it's been what almost 20 years and Pete is still being stupid and stubborn on the issue. The only person suffering from this is Pete Rose. We all know he's a Hall of Fame player, so it's not hurting us. It doesn't hurt baseball, because they're sticking to a standard set... unlike the non-standard for steroids which is hurting baseball more. So the only person "suffering" is Pete, if he even cares, and somehow I don't think he does, so if that's the case, then no one is hurt by him not being in the Hall of Fame.

He's already come clean...

Setting aside the convenience of his "confession" in terms of book sales and media tours, I don't believe him.

He's lied so often, and so insistently. Now he admits some of his protestations of innocence were lies, so why should we believe him that he's telling the truth now?

"I didn't bet on baseball. At all. Ever. And anybody who says so is a liar. I have too much respect for the game."

"Okay, I lied. I bet on baseball. Every single day. But only as a manager. And I never bet against my team. You gotta believe me now."

There's no reason to believe that he's being any more truthful now than he was for the 15 years before that. So it's a fair presumption that he either bet against his team, or that as a manager he manipulated the games to win bets.

Liars lie. Pete Rose is a liar. I see no reason why we should start believing him now.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived