1967 and 1968 New Orleans Saints - NOB?

m0sherman

I'm trying to determine if the New Orleans Saints wore names on the back of their jerseys in either 1967 or 1968, and if so, what color were the names. Thanks in advance for any help.

To my knowledge, no NFL teams wore names on the back of their jerseys until the beginning of regular season inter-conference play in 1970.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

I'm trying to determine if the New Orleans Saints wore names on the back of their jerseys in either 1967 or 1968, and if so, what color were the names. Thanks in advance for any help.

To my knowledge, no NFL teams wore names on the back of their jerseys until the beginning of regular season inter-conference play in 1970.

What he said.

metslogo_215.gif

Short answer is no. As stated above, the NFL didn't wear NOB until the merger. But if you want photo evidence, here you go:

1967 (Jim Taylor's only year with N.O.) - not slam-dunk conclusive but it's pretty clear there's no name on Joe Wendryhoski's back (#54)

Auto111.jpg

1968 (note wht/blk/wht helmet & pants stripes only worn in '68) - #78's new pants must have been at the cleaners B)

Auto107.jpg

Mind if I ask why? You getting a jersey made? You wouldn't believe how long I've thought about having one of those made.

Two observations on these pics. Hadn't thought about it before, but look how much higher the numbers are, almost to the shoulder seam on the back. And in the top pic, there's one old-school item that really stands out. Wendryhoski (#54) was the center, and he has a towel hanging from his waistband in the back so the QB could wipe his hands when needed. In old NFL Films clips it's fairly common to see a QB flip the towel up out of the way when he gets under center. I can't remember the last time I saw that in an NFL game.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

The centers don't need towels anymore because the NFL now can afford to use tons of balls for each game and tosses the wet ones out to be dried.

P.S.

I believe the screenshot of Billy Kilmer was in that crazy game where he and Charley Johnson each had 6 touchdown passes.

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

The centers don't need towels anymore because the NFL now can afford to use tons of balls for each game and tosses the wet ones out to be dried.

P.S.

I believe the screenshot of Billy Kilmer was in that crazy game where he and Charley Johnson each had 6 touchdown passes.

No, that 51-42 Saints win was in '69. I had to look it up though. B)

Mind if I ask why? You getting a jersey made? You wouldn't believe how long I've thought about having one of those made.

BlueSky, if you ever decide to pull the trigger, please let me now, as I'd like to order one too.

Speaking of which, Gothamite, did you ever get your old school Packers jersey?

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

God those colors are great, why can't they go to that "gold" instead of the vegas gold garbage

Short answer is no. As stated above, the NFL didn't wear NOB until the merger. But if you want photo evidence, here you go:

1967 (Jim Taylor's only year with N.O.) - not slam-dunk conclusive but it's pretty clear there's no name on Joe Wendryhoski's back (#54)

Auto111.jpg

1968 (note wht/blk/wht helmet & pants stripes only worn in '68) - #78's new pants must have been at the cleaners B)

Auto107.jpg

Two observations on these pics. Hadn't thought about it before, but look how much higher the numbers are, almost to the shoulder seam on the back. And in the top pic, there's one old-school item that really stands out. Wendryhoski (#54) was the center, and he has a towel hanging from his waistband in the back so the QB could wipe his hands when needed. In old NFL Films clips it's fairly common to see a QB flip the towel up out of the way when he gets under center. I can't remember the last time I saw that in an NFL game.

P.S.

No, that 51-42 Saints win was in '69. I had to look it up though. B)

DEE-FENSE!! DEE-FENSE!!!! :D

"We root for the laundry"

(Jerome Seinfeld)

God those colors are great, why can't they go to that "gold" instead of the vegas gold garbage

Auto111.jpg

Auto107.jpg

Agreed. What bums me out is that it looks like the new 49ers design beat them to it. The helmet at least looks like the old 'coppery' gold the Saints used.

Archived