Cub bee, or not Cub bee... that is the question...

Patchez

cubbie.jpg

I'd like help if available on this...

The Cubbie logo on the left is what the Chicago Cubs wore on their uniforms throughout the sixies. I know, I was there (in the bleachers, not on the field)

but recently at the last Sox/Cubs game at Wrigley, I noticed many hats, shirts & such being sold with the logo on the right.

Two questions:

1. Do you know if and when the Cubs actually had the right hand logo used on their players' uniforms?

2. Would YOU consider these two, two different logos or a bastardization of the previous design for today's marketing purposes?

(small hint, the right hand logo IS on MLB licensed memorabilia, but I don't recall them on Cub jerseys in my lifetime at least!)

I am trying to determine if I should add the second design to my collection of sports patches.

Thanks for your help!

Go Sox!

P.S. I showed in a previous post the bastardization of the '70's White Sox cap logo, which appears on "licensed" memorabilia today, so there are bastards out there capable of alternating sports logos for their evil purposes... making a buck off folks with poor memories and/or eye sight!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Do you know if and when the Cubs actually had the right hand logo used on their players' uniforms?

It looks like both logos were used at some point. Unfortunately, Getty Images doesn't provide exact dates for the photos.

3429607.jpg

56401584.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

Do you know if and when the Cubs actually had the right hand logo used on their players' uniforms?

It looks like both logos were used at some point. Unfortunately, Getty Images doesn't provide exact dates for the photos.

3429607.jpg

56401584.jpg

Thanks so much for the images...

But with the folds of the sleeve and the shadows on the second photo, I am still not convinced that it matches the second Cubbie.

I just wonder why such a subtle change would have been made?

Must have happened after 1969, when I became a White Sox fan and stopped following the Cubs close enough to see that change!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Well, the top photo would seem to be the Cubs' 1968 road jersey, for whatever that's worth.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived