LeBron gives up #23!

BrySmalls

Bill Russell's NBA was a lot different than Michael Jordan's NBA, that is to say not nearly as good. Yeah, the championships still count, but it's not quite the same. It's the same deal with the Original Six-era Stanley Cups.

LeBron learn your history brother!

I think LeBron James knows who Bill Russell is, Jimbo Johnny.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Russell's NBA was a lot different than Michael Jordan's NBA, that is to say not nearly as good. Yeah, the championships still count, but it's not quite the same. It's the same deal with the Original Six-era Stanley Cups.

You mean, in the sense that in Russell's era talent was concentrated to the point that every team had multiple hall of famers? Or in the sense that expansion diluted talent to the point that a team could dominate and win 6 titles just by having the best player and one other major star?

Seriously though, you probably mean in the sense of athleticism, size of players, and things like that; but I don't think you can really hold that against an era.

We can look back at teams like Indiana, New York, Portland, Houston - these teams were contenders and only had ONE Hall of Fame type player!!! I think the '90s were CLEARLY the low point in competition in modern NBA history. Along with the 70s, when things were watered down by the ABA.

Mikan's era seems fairly primitive, but when we're talking about the Celtics dynasty in the 60s - they had to get by teams featuring Wilt/Hal Greer, even Wilt+Jerry West + Elgin Baylor; the Cincinnati Royals had Oscar Robertson and Jerry Lucas and were perennial also-rans. Teams were pretty stacked back then, kind of the opposite of Jordan's era. It seems pretty foolish to dismiss Russell's NBA like that. I don't think there's much more meaningful or impressive than Russell's 11 title in 13 years. There should have been a lot of parity back then, given the limited number of teams - back then the Celtics didn't have room for guys and had to let good players get away. 11/13 makes things sound cartoonish and primitive, but I don't think that was the case.

Yes, LeBron James and and everyone else should give up no. 23 in honour of Michael Jordan, and switch to no. 6.

Then they should give up no. 6 in honour of Dr. J., and switch to no. 10.

Then they should give up no. 10 in honour of Clyde Frazier, and switch to no. 32.

Then they should give up no. 32 in honour of Dr. J. (again) and of Magic, and switch to no. 33.

Then they should give up no. 33 in honour of Kareem and of Bird, and switch to...

How nonsensical. A player honours another player by taking his number, not by setting it aside.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Archived