LeBron gives up #23!

BrySmalls

Man, I think MJ ruined the NBA - emphasis on showboating and dunking over team play

Phil Jackson on line 1 regarding the triangle offense which is about the most difficult and structured "team play" in basketball.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just think it's ironic that a Cavaliers player wants to give up #23 to honour Jordan - I would have thought MJ to be one of the most hated figures in Cavs history.

And can you see teams like the Jazz, Pistons and Blazers retiring #23 after all the pain he caused those franchises?

its cause he knows hes comin to miami next yr and 23 is retired by the heat for jordan already...they have the cap room, and one of few teams that with adding james gets u a title....all teams who have won the title the last decades have had more then one superstar on the team...just saying...

go read the articles on espn this is no joke

Miami.png

Sure the Heat might have the cap space but the Cavs can pay him more than any other team can.

That said, yes MJ might be the most hated person to many Cleveland fans.

Care to explain why exactly? MJ is probably the greatest to ever lace up a pair of shoes and hit the court, how could any basketball fan hate him? It's not like he's a huge douchebag or anything.

LosAngelesLakers.pngLosAngelesDodgers.pngSanDiegoChargers.png

thanks to crkraider22

Sure the Heat might have the cap space but the Cavs can pay him more than any other team can.

Care to explain why exactly? MJ is probably the greatest to ever lace up a pair of shoes and hit the court, how could any basketball fan hate him? It's not like he's a huge douchebag or anything.

His HoF speech would beg some to differ. Personally, as a Knicks fan, I hated him growing up, but I respected his skill and talent. I consider him a great player, but that doesn't necessarily mean I like him.

More like most hated basketball player but yeah one shot can change everything. Us Cavs fans have had to see it for all these years, it gets really painful to continue seeing.

6fQjS3M.png

Here's the list of players currently wearing #23 in the NBA

Martell Webster; Portland

Kevin Martin; Sacramento

C.J. Watson; Golden State

Marcus Camby; L.A.Clippers

Jason Richardson; Phoenix

Wesley Matthews; Utah

Byron Mullens; Oklahoma City

Devin Brown; New Orleans

Jodie Meeks; Milwaukee

LeBron James; Cleveland

Louis Williams; Philadelphia

Toney Douglas; New York

Stephen Graham; Charlotte

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

Yeah, it doesn't really bother me that, say, Jason Richardson wears 23, but LeBron in 23 never felt right to me.

I thought the smart money was on Wade+Bosh being the new thing in Miami.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yeah, it doesn't really bother me that, say, Jason Richardson wears 23, but LeBron in 23 never felt right to me.

I thought the smart money was on Wade+Bosh being the new thing in Miami.

Me too. He came in to the league already as a star, so he should have established his own identity by choosing a number not universally thought of as Jordan's. No matter how big LeBron gets, he'll never be the best player ever to wear that number. Honestly, he'll never be the best player to wear number 6 either (he'll never eclipse either Bill Russell or Dr. J, and there may be a few others that I'm not aware of.) He should go with something unique like 83, or 67. Or maybe 69. He'd sell a lot of jerseys to every overweight douchebag high-school or college guy who thinks they're really funny but are just tools who will never get laid.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

More like most hated basketball player but yeah one shot can change everything. Us Cavs fans have had to see it for all these years, it gets really painful to continue seeing.

Yeah, I'm guessing that Jordan's shot to win that game is right up there with the two AFC Championship games that they lost to John Elway's Broncos for gutpunch moments in Cleveland sports history. I can see why he isn't exactly beloved in Cleveland.

No matter how big LeBron gets, he'll never be the best player ever to wear that number. Honestly, he'll never be the best player to wear number 6 either (he'll never eclipse either Bill Russell or Dr. J, and there may be a few others that I'm not aware of.)

Really? The clock is ticking, but I would think he's surpassed Dr. J already and still could surpass MJ. Russell is tougher to quantify, but if LeBron gets some rings, he can go down as the greatest ever. Numberswise, the only people that have ever done the things he's doing are Larry Bird, and MJ in the 2-3 year window when he quit hogging the ball.

No matter how big LeBron gets, he'll never be the best player ever to wear that number. Honestly, he'll never be the best player to wear number 6 either (he'll never eclipse either Bill Russell or Dr. J, and there may be a few others that I'm not aware of.)

Really? The clock is ticking, but I would think he's surpassed Dr. J already and still could surpass MJ. Russell is tougher to quantify, but if LeBron gets some rings, he can go down as the greatest ever. Numberswise, the only people that have ever done the things he's doing are Larry Bird, and MJ in the 2-3 year window when he quit hogging the ball.

You are on crack.

Not to say that he can't, maybe, in some bizarre parallel universe, but let's be real here. He's got waaaaaays to go there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

League-wide retirements always suck.

Jackie Robinson deserves league-wide honor in a great many ways. Retiring his number was a poor choice.

Wayne Gretzky deserves league-wide awe, but there's no reason every team should have to honor him. (And they don't exactly other than abiding by the rule. In most MLB ballparks, you'll find a 42--often different in style--with the other retired numbers. I don't think you see 99 hanging from the rafters in most NHL, arenas.)

However, if players decide they want to honor him by unofficially retiring the number, I'm all for that. Similarly, though, I'm also into the idea that players already honor him by wearing his number (either directly or because they grew up wearing the number of their idol).

Yeah, I'm guessing that Jordan's shot to win that game is right up there with the two AFC Championship games that they lost to John Elway's Broncos for gutpunch moments in Cleveland sports history. I can see why he isn't exactly beloved in Cleveland.

There's a reason Houstonians want Albert Pujols to walk off a curb in front of a bus. It has nothing to do with how nice of a guy he is or isn't. Clevelanders are well within their right to loathe Jordan for gutting them.

And if you doubt Jordan has douche characteristics, see the HOF speech and "The Jordan Rules". Michael was a driven a-hole, but that is what made him great.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

Archived