Adidas moving NBA uniform production to Asia

Wasatch

I don?t know if ending a 100 year tradition is really all that big of a deal, but if it was, why doesn?t David Stern just get involved since I?m sure he?s already involved in the contract negotiations with Adidas?

Senator asks adidas to reverse move

WASHINGTON -- The official uniforms for NBA players could soon be made in Asia.

Sports apparel maker adidas plans to end its contract with American suppliers and move production to a factory in Thailand. The move could cost about 100 jobs at a factory in upstate New York that makes more than half the uniforms worn in the NBA, as well as jerseys for players in the WNBA.

New York Sen. Chuck Schumer says the move would destroy over a century of history for the marquee American sport. He is calling on adidas to reverse its decision and to keep making the uniforms in the USA. Adidas has an 11-year merchandising deal to be the NBA's official uniform and apparel provider.

ESPN Article

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Outsourcing...gee, what a concept.

I, as a red-blooded American, ain't exactly enthused about this...but this has been going on for longer than many of us have been alive. Reebok has been outsourcing it's league-licensed apparel manufacturing to "facilities" in Vietnam, China, and Honduras for a while, now. I own nothing with a swoosh on it outside an FSU team sweater (swore off Nike a long time ago), but I'd reckon that Nike probably has been outsourcing its apparel manufacturing, as well.

And like CDixon said...outside of this board, most fans and citizens likely won't even notice.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived