Boston College and Under Armor Announce Deal

gingerbreadmann

Under Armor has edged Reebok to become the official outfitter of 31 Boston College varsity teams starting in 2010. They signed a six-year, multi-milion dollar deal. Reebok will now have no official teams in NCAA Division I as far as I know, as BC was the last remaining school IIRC.

Looks like football uniforms will stay the same (that may be gold lettering though; I can't tell), just on the UA template:

6d39bb6ef0_BC_FB_12012009.jpg

To be honest, I had no idea that local company Reebok's contract was running out or that they would ever be replaced. Now that they will, I'm wondering if this is good. I was fine with Reebok and I'm not a huge UA fan. Hopefully we get some cool apparel and no drastic changes. But even though it seems like they didn't even enter the running, I can't help but wonder how Nike would have turned out. Come to think of it, I don't really like that jersey cut. I'm kind of scared now. Oh well, maybe this will be beneficial for marketing and that would be worth it.

Because of Reebok I really haven't paid much attention to UA or Nike or other outfitters in the college market, although Nike's effects on uniforms are obvious. Thoughts?

BC switched to gold numerals on their jerseys Ryan's senior season. That design is exactly the same as the past two seasons. Also, UA tends to do a good job with schools with an established look. Apart from a few subtle changes, they made no changes to Auburn's unis.

I would have no problem with their current look if they ditched the bad numbers, which kill the uniform and therefore keeps me from watching any BC game. I won't watch a game that I hate the uniform. Go back to a block font or something better than what they have right now and I'd be fine with them. I prefer the Flutie era uniforms over anything that they've worn since.

Archived