New Super 14 team...well now Super 15

kiwi_canadian

The Super 14 will be no more after the 2010 season. SANZAR has decided to expand the competition by adding a team in the Australian state of Victoria. They will play in Melbourne and will be called the Melbourne Rebels. Here is the logo and jersey from when they were in the Australian Rugby Championship:

Melbourne_Rebels_page_image.jpg

the-arc-melbourne-rebels-jersey-and-colours.jpg

They beat out the South African entry the Southern Kings:

SouthernKingsLogo.jpg

However, it is believed that the Southern Kings will eventually come into the competition as it is believed that the Lions and Cheetahs will merge back into one union after the 2010 season (based on their performance) and the Kings will replace the open spot in the South African conference.

I apologize if this has already been talked about.

This was actually announced back in November, though at the time, it wasn't official that the Rebels name would carry over. Hopefully, that logo, such as it is, won't carry over. They're wrapping up construction on a 35,000-seat stadium to be shared by the Rebels, NRL Storm, and A-League Victory. Hey, if the AFL can establish in Sydney, then rugby can make a go of it in Melbourne.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

that logo is horrendous. shame about the kings. south africa was much more capable of supporting a 6th team than australia a 5th. they have struggled to consistently get to the playoffs since they brought in the western force.

even new zealand could have supported a 6th team better. not in terms of revenue, but certainly with player stocks. harbour, hawks bay, or tasman could have been choices. i guess they need cash tho and melbourne is (if not a big rugby town) a big sport town.

interesting kings uni template i found:

gold-southern-kings-strip-small.JPG

I think I heard that the Melbourne franchise is in doubt because the people backing the club aren't getting the help (money wise) from the ARU? Anyone else know much about this? No doubt if they come into the comp they'd be looking to update their logo and jersey..

They've started naming staff for the new club, so it looks like the financial side of things has been sorted out. And with the new national conference arrangement, there was never any real chance of a SA or NZ team getting thrown in with the Australians.

I was surprised they were so quick to whip out the Rebels name for the new side, but it's pretty punchy so they could do a lot worse. (I'm looking at you, Melbourne Heart...)

Archived