NSC Minnesota Stars

-kj

Some of you may have seen the thread about the new Minnesota soccer team, the NSC Minnesota Stars. The logo is, to be kind, a big mess:

NSC-MN-logo.png

So, while I should probably be doing other things, I decided to mess around and see if I could make something cleaner using similar themes. So I gave it a go:

nsc-minnesota-kj.png

The shirt idea's taken from a really nice Central Coast Mariners kit. The only soccer templates I had handy were some of gordie_dellini's from 07-08, so it's based on Newcastle United's shirts from a couple of years ago, but I think it translates well. (The team's been using Adidas templates in their team color voting, though they haven't officially announced a supplier. And, yes, those are the Bengals' numbers.)

So, did I make it better... or worse?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I like it, gets rid of the gradient and multiple fonts.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

Much, much better. Massive upgrade. Of course, then there is the unfortunate matter of the name they picked... ugh

The crest is nice but I kinda prefer just the star. Either way, again, this is a big upgrade.

On a side note the star reminds me of this just a bit(even a bit in the actual NSC Stars logo):

4658.gif

Yeah, after I got done and looked at what I considered the finished product, I thought of that logo; I've always liked it. Honestly, though, it wasn't in my mind when I was working on it.

I do like the idea of using just the star, though one of my aims was to mimic the ideas they'd originally used without going down the path of gradients or mangled Verdana. When I made the secondary logo, I used the same star arrangement from the crest, changing the colors; to be honest, I like the secondary version better. I tried re-inserting that into the crest, and it didn't translate well on the dark background. I'm not sure how to fix that for using the star on its own on a dark jersey.

POTD 2013-08-22

Lame, I know... but I'm going to give this a nudge up to the front page. Even an old-timer amateur wanna-be designer around here could use some feedback. :D

POTD 2013-08-22

Archived