New Minnesota USSF D2 team unveils name, logo

-kj

Name for the new USSF D2 team in Minnesota (replacing the silently-defunct Thunder): NSC Minnesota, nicknamed the Stars

The logo:

NSC_MN_logo_web.jpg

My thoughts? I like "Stars", and I like the idea of navy and yellow. "NSC Minnesota" is still awkward, but livable.

The logo is a complete train wreck of generic crap, though, with some added borrowing of the Arsenal crest shape. Bah.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I actually don't mind the star logo much. While it is very simple (like the team name), it could have been much worse and gets the job done.

However, the gradient in the shield really brings this logo down. The yellow stripes running right into the black border of the shield also deserve a sad face.

The black shadowing on the NSC text really is unnecessary. Actually, black altogether here is unnecessary. I don't really like when black and navy are featured together.

Also you can now add the black star to that laundry list of mis-colored sports logo elements, alongside the black flames on the Calgary Flames' logo, the Jacksonville Jaguars' teal tongue, etc.

CCSLC signature.png

Nice to see that their two main colors mimic those of a certain other second-tier sports franchise in town, though...

I'm glad you hold my rec hockey team in such esteem. :D

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Despite being a euro-style name, it's completely "organic" (for lack of a better word) without trying to sound European, so I like it. Although it could be better. The badge would be passable without the unnecessary black trim and gradients, but again, it could've been designed much better.

Let's hope these are just the temporary result of the owners focusing their energy on actually getting this team up and running.

Nothing is very good about this team's identity. And it's even worse considering "Northstar FC" likely one the fan vote by a wide margin.

I voted for Northstar FC...so I was a little disappointed but I believe they ran into trademark issues with the name which is what they compromise by naming the team NSC Minnesota Stars.

Archived