Usa & Canada Hockey Jersey Timeline

spyboy1

I'm trying to piece together the timeline of Team USA and Canada Jerseys after the 1980 Olympics and could use some help getting my facts straight. Please read this over and post any corrections that you may have.

In 1984 in Sarajevo, Yugoslavia, I thought the USA first used the "waving flag S" USA crest still in use today. These jerseys were made by CCM, but perhaps not used unitl 1988 in Calgary, Canada. I have been unable to find a definitive pictures from either 84 or 88 yet, but I do know that Team Canada wore their same style CCM jerseys both times. The Canada jersey had the ?speed stripes? horizontally down the sleeves that got narrower as they went and the "Smaller Leaf within a Leaf" crest.

In 1992 in Albertville, France all the teams wore Tackla jerseys . Tackla's are recognized by the 3 prominent diamond shapes on each shoulder. This is the jersey Forsberg wore when he won the Gold medal for Sweden in a shootout, so the Tackla jerseys were easy to confirm.

In 1994 in Lillehammer, Norway all teams wore Reebok jerseys with the Reebok logo prominently on the shoulders.

In the 1996 World Cup, we wore the Flowing Stripes Nike jereys for the only time. Canada & the Czechs also had a flowing flag style around the lower body of the jersey for that tournament.

In 1998 in Nagano, Japan we wore Nike jerseys again, this time with the common arched yoke shoulder style. These are unique because of the USA crest being in a circle and more stylized numbers, featuring sharp points on the 2's & 7's in partcular. This is what the USA Women wore wen they won their gold medal.

Canada wore the same Nike design, but used a different font for the numbers, one that had pronounced serifs on the numbers.

In 2002 in Salt Lake City, USA, we again wore Nike with the same striping pattern, but with the USA crest alone on the chest and more traditional jersey numbers. Canada changed to a more traditional style striping around the arms and waist, using a narrower than usual and elongated font for the numbers. They also introduced a red alternate tie-down jersey which featured a revival of the crest worn in 1924. A black version of the red alternate was not worn in the Olympics, but later used in the World Junior Championships in 2003.

If anyone could confirm or clarify any of this, especially 84 and 88, it would be appreciated.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

I think since 2000 Canada has used the Sharks' template for letters and numbers...Compacta for the names, and the same numbers as the Sharks. A few teams in the Olympics used the same style. Before then, I think Canada used a distored version of CopperPlate Gothic for the numbers.

I remember the Tackla jerseys from 92. Everyone had the 3 diamonds and the numbers were all 3-D looking.

If I see some other pictures I can determine the other fonts for USA & Canada.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

In 1998 in Nagano, Japan we wore Nike jerseys again, this time with the common arched yoke shoulder style. These are unique because of the USA crest being in a circle and more stylized numbers, featuring sharp points on the 2's & 7's in partcular. This is what the USA Women wore wen they won their gold medal.

Canada wore the same Nike design, but used a different font for the numbers, one that had pronounced serifs on the numbers.

In 2002 in Salt Lake City, USA, we again wore Nike with the same striping pattern, but with the USA crest alone on the chest and more traditional jersey numbers.

Nooooooononononononononono.

In 1998, they did not wear the same style of jerseys they wore in 2002.

1998:

go40.jpg

go17.jpg

2002:

amonte_usa_slc2002_v_rus_wide.jpg

340106usa.jpg

The names on the 1998 jerseys were, I believe, outside of the trim, while the 2002 jerseys have the name inside the trim.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

whoever the US is playing in the 3rd picture (Russia or Czech. maybe?) used the same lettering & numbering as Canada last 2 int'l series. I don't remember Canada arching the name like San Jose.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Thanks for the correction on the differences between the two styles of Nike jerseys.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

The 88 sweaters were made by CCM.

The home was a white body, red stripe from shoulder to shoulder with blue and red bands on the upper arms and alternating red. white and blue stripes on the hemline.

The away was a blue body, white stripe from shoulder to shoulder with the same type striping pattern.

The logo on both is the familiar usa that was used on the 2002 set.

f1_2.JPG

patriotssignature.png

Archived